Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Route des Grande Alpes - France  (Read 2639 times)

Offline mb4807

• Versys Pro
Route des Grande Alpes - France
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Looking for advice on Riding the Route des Grande Alps from Menton in the South of France back to Megeve/Chamonix (missing out the section to Thonnon and Lake Geneve). Is it comfortable enough to do in 2 days. Are there any sections to aviod or must-do detours to take in? Any suggestions on best places to stop overnight?

I'm goiong in mid June, before it gets too busy. Riding down to Nice via Route Napoleon. Then next day I thought we'd pop along to Monaco for a coffee, then on to Menton and then make a start on the RdGA, stopping over somewhere and completing the route the next day.

Appreciate any suggestions from people who may have ridden it before.

Offline stev1der

• Non-Active
  • Versys God
Re: Route des Grande Alpes - France
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by mb4807 [+]
Is it comfortable enough to do in 2 days.

Yes, Its only 300 miles.

See here: https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=45&topic=9787.0

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:02 PM »
The 2nd time I did it we found a parallel route to the east of part of the route proper that was superb and less busy. The R Nap we found a bit disappointing honestly, way too much heavy traffic when we did it. Study your Michelin maps and search out green-edged roads.
Ted.

Offline mb4807

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2011, 03:08 PM »
South of France and back in 4 days. Route Napoleon from Grenoble to Nice was great, but subject to heavy traffic in its earlier stages. I'd not want to ride it during a busy time. But October would be fab I'm sure.

From Nice to headed to Menton and up to Isloa and Col de la Bonnette and on to Briancon. Absolutly incredible day. Probably hard to beat.

From Briancon to Chamonix we headed up over the Col du Galibier, Col de Iseran, down to Bourg St Maurice and then over the Cormet de Roseland to Megeve. Cracking roads all of them and I was totally switch-backed out by the end of the day.

Bike did great!