Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Te Anua to Milford sound, Fiordland , NZ  (Read 2216 times)

Offline kiwi 41

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 08 orange Versys
  • City / Town: Timaru
Te Anua to Milford sound, Fiordland , NZ
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:04 AM »

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2012, 07:22 AM by kiwi 41 »

Offline slacker

• Versys God
  • gloucester
Re: Te Anua to Milford sound, Fiordland , NZ
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:08 PM »
that road down to the Milford Sound is not very good in a motorhome  :2:
when we were there in 2007 the weather was lousy [rain and mist], we met a girl working in the hotel at the bottom [a waitress, before you all think of another type of hotel] who we had met 2 years previous in Auckland. funny old world as she was from Ireland. [wonder if we will meet again in 2013]
if anyone wants a scenic country without the traffic, it has to be New Zealand
it just pips Wales, but only just  :2:
I'm terrified.We're in a jumbo 747, at an altitude of 30,000ft, going at 500 mph, and the drivers are asleep.
"emilio scotto"

Offline Pemur

• Versys Master
  • City / Town: Livingston
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Milford's really quite impressive.  I did the Milford Track a few years ago, supposed to be one of the top walks in the world if not actually No. 1.  Great right up until you get to the end, called Sandfly Point for a very good reason.  Don't remember much of the bus ride back to Te Anu, too busy trying not to scratch the bites.

I've always wanted to tour NZ, especially South Island, on a bike: last time I was hiking everywhere.  The roads are almost empty, and when you do meet anyone they are invariably polite, friendly and willing to help.  Put it on the bucket list.  And Slacker, it beats Wales by a country mile: there's nothing like the same rain - once you get out of Fiordland!  Those blue skies in Kiwi41's pictures are the exception to the rule.

Offline kiwi 41

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:11 PM »
Agree how wet it can be in Fiordland but the day my wife and myself rode in, it was 30 celcius. We had left Invercargil that morning and had lunch at Te Anua and put all our excess bike gear in our cabin at the motorcamp and rode to Milford sound in perfect conditions and we had missed all the morning tourist buses and because it was so hot when we arrived at the sound and went on the last sailing for the day out to the Tasman sea and back just to cool down and relax. It worked out real well as by the time we returned at 6 pm all the buses had gone and we had a pretty clear road to ride. The middle pictues is taken around 7pm on the way back from milford on the east side of the homer tunnel and it was still above 25 C.

This was part of a 2600km trip around the south island, we went clockwise around the outside of the island and finished back at our home in Timaru which is half way down the east coast 6 days later.

Offline Davy F

• Versys Master
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adv
  • City / Town: Ards
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I'm hoping to take me and my wife to NZ for her 50th birthday treat in 2013. I've found a place where I can hire an MX5 (she doesn't like bikes) so that we can tour around at leisure. Those pics just help to inspire me even more.  :152:
Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Pemur [+]
Milford's really quite impressive.  I did the Milford Track a few years ago, supposed to be one of the top walks in the world if not actually No. 1.  Great right up until you get to the end, called Sandfly Point for a very good reason.  Don't remember much of the bus ride back to Te Anu, too busy trying not to scratch the bites.

I've always wanted to tour NZ, especially South Island, on a bike: last time I was hiking everywhere.  The roads are almost empty, and when you do meet anyone they are invariably polite, friendly and willing to help.  Put it on the bucket list.  And Slacker, it beats Wales by a country mile: there's nothing like the same rain - once you get out of Fiordland!  Those blue skies in Kiwi41's pictures are the exception to the rule.

I did a 10 week motorbike trip in NZ in 2004. It was the wettest and coldest Summer NZ had had since weather records were started. I was on a Yam XT 600E.
Wales didn't come close for extremes of weather.
It was still a fantastic trip with so many highlights and 10,000 kms.
I turned up at a real-ale Brewery in Greymouth South Island for a brewery tour I had booked. I was drowned like never before or since, after riding over the mountains from the east coast. They took one look at me, gave me a spare office with several electric fires plus overalls to wear for the tour whilst my clothes and gear dried. Can you imagine that happening here.
NZ is a DON'T MISS place but do it soon. Every time I have been there since 1989 it is changing SO MUCH.
My daughter lives there.

Ted.

Offline slacker

• Versys God
  • gloucester
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:15 PM »
i was thinking more of the scenery not the weather when comparing New Zealand to Wales,
they are very similar.

Davy F, take her there, i love the place and i don't work for the tourist board  :008:
2 islands with 2 different types of weather [and people], nearly moved there a few years back
you might be unlucky though and bump into us in 2013

Ted, i remember Greymouth well. everyone said don't bother going there. i got the very same impression you did. very glad i ignored them and went there.

if any of our kids are reading this---yes it is your inheritance we are spending, so find your own way in life as there will not be anything left for you :008:
I'm terrified.We're in a jumbo 747, at an altitude of 30,000ft, going at 500 mph, and the drivers are asleep.
"emilio scotto"

Offline kiwi 41

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:22 PM »
This is a ride a did to lake tekapo which is about 80km nw of where i live, they had a big short sharp snow dump a couple of winters ago so decide to ride up to tekapo for a coffee and take some pic's. My wife thought i was nuts but the roads were cleared but left Tekapo before 3.30pm as any later any roads may start to ice in places.