Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Will I get away with it?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline mshaunb

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Versys
  • City / Town: Haworth
Will I get away with it?
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Advice required.

I have promised Mrs B and our four offspring a holiday in the sun this year and suggested mainland Spain - possibly Salou. On condition that I'm allowed to set off two or three days earlier and ride there rather than fly with them. (Remarkably enough, Mrs B has not baulked at this idea but I'm expecting some quid pro quo request ver soon!).

So, given that I'm riding from Yorkshire, will probably do Dover-Calais - unless better advice is available - and have, let's say, 3 days to make my way to that sort of area - does anyone have any advice on the best routes? 
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."  Einstein

Offline Ugly Kid Joe

• Versys Pro
Re: Will I get away with it?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Northern France is very dull. Peage to Dijon, hang left and do the alps. Or peage to Clemont Ferrand hang a right and do the volcanoes.

Millau bridge is a good one to do, as is the coast road crossing the border.

The coast road from Sant Feliu de Guixols to Tossa is one not to be missed.

I'd personally, (if i had the time) would take 5/6 days going down via Dijon/ Geneva/ Thonon Le Bains/ Route de Grand Alps to Monaco/ Verdon Gorge/Mt Ventoux/d999/ Milau head south...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Ventoux

Coming back do the volcano's and up to the top of Le Puy Mary .
http://www.auvergne-tourism.com/articles/puy-mary-br/a-pyramid-in-the-landscape-275-2.html

Just tell her you got lost  :lostit:

I'm sending my wife away to Spain for 6 weeks in the summer and doing exactly the same thing... 10 days touring and 11 days with them.  :152:

Offline FoxysVers

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Personally I'd do Portsmouth to Santander and then make the most of the fantastic roads in northen Spain. Pricey on the ferry but when you consider fuel and tolls probably not a massive difference but avoids the boring sections in France.
Iíve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Offline Rangoonruns

• Versys Pro
Will I get away with it?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Brilliant idea but you will need at least 3/4 days to do any good
Otherwise you will just be doing the main paege

Offline mshaunb

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Versys
  • City / Town: Haworth
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:36 PM »
Great advice....thanks for the encouraging comments. Will let you know how it works out!!
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."  Einstein