Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: North of Scotland tour May 2013  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Throttled

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
North of Scotland tour May 2013
« on: Jun 02, 2013, 01:37 PM »
The tour had a purpose as well as an excuse to get out and about on the bike for a few days. I am doing the MBF UK challenge of riding to certain places and photographing the bike with your allocated number to get points. I was away for 5 days and four nights and completed 13 tags.

I started with what for me is a boring run up the A82 to Glen Coe for the first tag. I have been on that road so many times over the years (I have lived in Argyll) there is nothing left to make it interesting. The only thing that shook me out my stupor was just how damage has been done to the Jimmy Saville house in Glen Coe and how many people now visit it!

For me it got more interesting leaving the A82 and heading to Ardnamurchan. I love single track roads and by in large they are well maintained there.

After coffee and cake at the Lighthouse tea room I turned round and then headed north towards Glenfinnan, stopping to enjoy the views to the islands. Here are Muck, Eigg and Rum.

Again the roads are sweeping bend after sweeping bend on well made surfaces.

I camped at the Glen Nevis camping park and found that the other bikers were Germans on BMWs. Indeed I saw more Germans than anyone else during the trip. I did see a group where one rider had a red Versys like mine, so he/she got a wave and they waved back!

The next day was north to Durness keeping to the coast as much as possible. The weather really improved

and all vents on my jacket and trousers were open. I had ditched the handguards and wore vented Spada gloves and kept cool and comfortable. I went to Torridon, just because I have not been there before and wow!

Torridon glen rivals Glen Coe for size and views.

I ended the day at Sango Sands camp site in Durness. All my clothes went in one pannier, my sleeping bag in the top box and shoes, breakfast for each day of juice and cereal bars, wash kit, spare gloves and a Vango Banshee 200 tent went in the other pannier. My sleeping mat was bungeed on the pillion seat.

The next two days were spent doing tags from Dunnet head to Dalwhinney distillery to Glenshee ski centre, where I encountered rain for the only time during the trip. I camped a night at Roy Bridge at the Bunroy site, finally meeting some UK bikers from Somerset. The A86 is a superb road and it was nice to across rather than my usual up and down.

I finished off with the Cairngorm Loop where I avoid the A9 and go up the B970. It is a wonderful wide single track road/narrow two lane road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Kingussie&daddr=57.0851199,-3.9754985+to:57.1969791,-3.7984422+to:57.2564594,-3.403071+to:Blairgowrie&hl=en&sll=57.084784,-3.607635&sspn=0.399987,1.352692&geocode=FUH-ZgMdPCLC_ylXtrwT00SPSDEBMCOgztEZvQ%3BFb8MZwMdtlbD_ynPVpS0rFuPSDHFipSF7f93vw%3BFbPBaAMdVgrG_ykTg-DFbPWFSDE5lmDHsHvQMA%3BFQuqaQMdwRLM_ykvXPNI3pSFSDHKed-Hl9gq9A%3BFRd6XwMdGvLM_ykFX9iRx_2FSDEuGTrT_hphTQ&oq=blairgowrie&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=10&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=10

The final night was camping in a mates garden before returning home. The bike performed superbly as a sporty tourer. The trip covered 980 miles. 

Offline stevemersey

• Versys Mega God
Re: North of Scotland tour May 2013
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Throttled,
What superb pictures and a great trip. I just want to jump on the bike and go back to Scotland seeing that.

Offline TR650

• Versys God
  • Bike: v650
  • City / Town: carmarthen
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2013, 09:38 PM »
nice! looking forward to my summer trip now, health permitting.

Offline Blue

• Versys God
  • Z900RS
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Excellent pics and weather! :028:
“Be as you wish to seem.”

Offline riggerjim

• Versys God
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it & great pictures.
Jim

Offline EasyTiger

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Great pics and account. I stayed on after the Versys Meet, but didn't take any pics in the North as I rode in constant rain and murk.
I bought postcards to see what I was missing!
Happy Memories of a Moondust Grey '09 Versys Tourer.
If you ever start taking life too seriously, remember you are a talking ape orbiting the galaxy at 446,400 MPH on a deteriorating organic spaceship.