Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Test ACF50 vs WD40 vs FS365 vs salt water.....  (Read 15404 times)

Offline kiwitourer

• Non-Active
  • Versys Pro
  • Bike: 650 versys 07
  • City / Town: Paeroa
Re: Test ACF50 vs WD40 vs FS365 vs salt water.....
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:04 AM »
From reading the above ACF50 is a corrosion inhibitor. Is it a lubricant?.
90% of threads on WD40 are for chain lubrication.
My question is, is WD40 a more versatile product? If so then you get more "bang for your buck".
I am not much of a fan for CRC, but i like CRC longlife. I use it mainlys on my shot guns. Spray it on, and wipe it of. It gets into every nook and cranny. Lubricates well. It always leaves a film after you have wiped. It makes the woodwork look great. Works good on outboards as well.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2013, 12:10 AM by kiwitourer »
Life is a one act play. Do what you want to do.

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by kiwitourer [+]
My question is, is WD40 a more versatile product? If so then you get more "bang for your buck".
I am not much of a fan for CRC, but i like CRC longlife. I use it mainlys on my shot guns. Spray it on, and wipe it of. It gets into every nook and cranny. Lubricates well. It always leaves a film after you have wiped. It makes the woodwork look great. Works good on outboards as well.

I looked at CRC longlife website. It looks excellent.
Is our WD40 the CRC you refer to?
In which case I wonder if CRC longlife is similar to our "Duckoil"?
Ted.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
BTW the real reason that grinding the metal plate made it rust more is that it removes the oxide layer, so think on before you go polishing everything up nice and shiny  :016:

Mr D

Maybe you should get your next bike made out of "Corten" Steel  :027:
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now arranged for w/e 4th Sept - Details HERE :028:

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:44 AM »
If you've seen Corten steel after it has fully weathered, it doesn't look very pretty.
It may not rust any more but the finish looks red-rusty, and during the initial rusting process the water run-off stains any concrete it is mounted on very badly.
Not impressed for locations where it is very visible, but good where the application is chosen well and it's further corrosion resistance is vital.

Ted.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:56 AM »
Ted

I was thinking, that if he got a bike made of this, it would then soon look much like the rider  :whistle:
I.e. getting on a bit and rusty round the gills  :notsure: :008: because that's what happens to Tiger 800 owners  :138:

Edit: Especially when they leave oil marks on your carpet  :192: (annual dig) :008:
Richard   :179:
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2013, 12:00 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

2020 NVM now arranged for w/e 4th Sept - Details HERE :028:

Offline kiwitourer

• Non-Active
  • Versys Pro
  • Bike: 650 versys 07
  • City / Town: Paeroa
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ted99UK [+]
*Originally Posted by kiwitourer [+]

I looked at CRC longlife website. It looks excellent.
Is our WD40 the CRC you refer to?
In which case I wonder if CRC longlife is similar to our "Duckoil"?
Ted.
WD 40 and CRC long life are two different products.
I found the ACF 50 product in NZ.  It is expensive, but I suppose the aviation industry requires a quality product, hence the price.
Life is a one act play. Do what you want to do.

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I was thinking more of duplex stainless, or Inconel, then it wouldn't need any paintwork at all  :001:

And it was chain grease, not oil  :whistle:
Just passin' through

Offline mike5100

• Versys God
  • Durham
  • Bike: NC750X 2016
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2014, 03:16 PM »
I'm doing some of my own tests on ACF50 and how long it stays on in our harsh conditions.  I am coming to the conclusion that it depends on the surface and it raises another question which I will come to in a moment.
Firstly, painting it on and around the calipers does work wonders in keeping them white-corrosion-free, BUT all of a sudden you may find that the water doesn't bead and that's presumably because the ACF50 has worn off.  And despite me regularly putting dabs of acf50 on the bolts of the front caliper, I was surprised to find 20 minutes ago that white corrosion had just begun on two large bolts and a small bit of brake pipe. It was about 5 rides ago that I dabbed the obvious places.  I have been trying to get a white coating of salt on everything for the main part of my experiment which is:
Does a surface coated in acf50 allow the salt layer to simply be rinsed off with plain water from a hose.  And the answer as far as I can see is 'no'.  It may well protect the underlying surface from the salt, but that salty layer certainly sticks to it, and can only be removed with either agitation, or shampoo or both .... and who knows whether that is then taking the acf50 off as well.  I rubbed stripes of acf50 with a soaked cloth on the back of a textured plastic mirror, the black brake reservoir, a black painted screen a headlight and some textured plastic bodywork.  The only places I could say that the acf50 still remained after several wet salty rides was on the textured plastic items that still beaded the water in contrast to the untreated plastic next to them.  When first done on half the painted screen there was a distinct difference in beading but no difference at the end of the experiment, except that the ACF50 area looked less attractive.  All the layer on the headlight must have gone as there was no visual difference, nor any difference in beading.
I'm still using it, but may have to simply leave it on all winter and put up with the bile looking terrible, and regularly reapply it.
Mike

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Sorry to resurrect a 'zombie post' ... but ... I just came across this review of rust inhibitors from Bennets Social.  Some of you have probably already seen it, but for those that haven't ... I found it interesting.

I've always been a GT98/ACF50 user.  I used GT85 after every ride during the summer months, and use ACF50 a couple of times in winter.  This has always worked for me, but I always disliked the way that ACF50 seemed to attract gunk and after a couple of weeks the bike looked horrible!

After reviewing this test, I'm thinking of switching to regular applications of FS365 during winter instead!

Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: 19 Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
« Reply #19 on: Jul 05, 2020, 11:43 PM »
I was an ACF-50 fan, but always found it difficult to apply.

Have since found Muc-Off protectant spray and think that does a great job, easy to apply straight from the can and gives a nice, satisfying coating. Buffs up nicely too!

I use it pretty much every few washes but always get the garage to add a coat of ACF-50 after a service still, just as a treat.

https://www.halfords.com/motorcycling/cleaning/muc-off-motorcycle-protectant---500ml-551762.html?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Motoring%3EMotorcycling%3EMotorcycle+Cleaning+Products-_-Motoring%3EMotorcycling%3EMotorcycle+Cleaning+Products-_-551762&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=62b447cf-331e-4fec-a47a-9985ff72d404&istItemId=xxptqp&istBid=tzxi&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:8979077999|agid:94446537247|tid:aud-80976661069:pla-328126951344|crid:412800843065|nw:g|rnd:6140878662709790499|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006886&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9IX4BRCcARIsAOD2OB0cEp5k4iv3VS-Nz4dgwv8M8ogShTjexcdxpIS7bZCcOBdweh9wsqwaAsrnEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2020, 11:45 PM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!