Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Tank Whistle?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline la_mar

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: versys 650 2012
  • City / Town: Alacant
Re: Tank Whistle?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:53 PM »
hi you all !!!
I'm gonna tell how I fixed the cap whistling 100%. One month ago I bought a versys mk 2 and I was surprised for the bike whistle, so I decided to take off the cap and take a look there., so I undid 3 bolts and took the o ring from the breathing hose. As I didn't find anything wrong I decided to mount it all back, just cleaned and lubed the o ring (well it's not exactly an o ring, it's a gum? joint between the gas tank and the cap) and voilal!!! No more whistling at all, 100% fixed, so just clean and lube the o ring and you got it. ( sorry for my poor english)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Ballymena N.I
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Well done  :028: 

Welcome to the forum  :002:   

In case you feel lonely ........   :whistle:     :008:     
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2018, 06:47 PM by TYKE »
Just do as I say, don't do as I do .

There's a difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Rog      (Roger)

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Blimey thought I was in a time wharp, BAA and Melfi posting on  the first page then I realised I was , it was from 2007!!
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2018, 12:29 AM »

And I thought tanks could make enough noise without needing a whistle  :138: . It was fun reading through the old thread 'tho.
All six of the Kawis I've had have whistled. I like it.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Yeah, funny how these things come back to life.  And it reminded me that I haven't been down to visit Machog in a while.  Maybe I should plan on a trip down to Cave Creek before he goes back on the water...   :notsure:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I'm disappointed - after seeing the title "Tank Whistle", I thought somebody had invented a tube with holes for the petrol tank,  so we can play play a flute solo on the go.  :008:   

I'm sure all my bikes have whistled or hissed if left in the sun - I think it's when petrol turns to vapour and escapes.  My cure to relieve the pressure is to ride the thing, burning petrol and making more space in the tank.   :152:

Did you know, the unfilled space in a tank is called ullage?    Thank you... now I'll have two from the top and three from the bottom please Rachel. 
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Guitar_Slinger [+]
Did you know, the unfilled space in a tank is called ullage?   

Indeed. However, the detective in me says that you're from the same industry as Stewie....

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Was he an extra in On The Buses too?  :001:

*Originally Posted by Blakey

"BUTLER!"
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2018, 12:25 PM »

Not so fast, G.S., not so fast  :2: :2: .

If you are going to go o.t. you should get well clear rather than hang about one foot in, one foot out.
 May I suggest that no self respecting V. rider ever has ullage in the tank. Ullage is not the empty space at the top of the tank but might be the mix of water, sludge, rust, small change and other unidentified crap at the  bottom  of the tank. Hence previous comment re self respect.

Properly used, ullage refers to the sediment at the bottom of a wine barrel or vat or even the bottle. Which is why, pre modern filtration, ,elf, safety and HiGene, one always poured slowly and never the last 3/16th of an inch.
 In South Africa, where they know something about wine but are not wine snobs, they collect the ullage from several vats into one container and strain it meticulously before selling it as house wine, very cheap, very delicious and of infinite variety. The mongrel among the pedigrees,

Now, to get back to the topic of O.T., us professionals like to add a personal stamp to it, thus ensuring that the original topic shall never again see the light of day. As in "When I was a child my mother used to refer to me as 'That useless ullage'. True.

Gettit?

:whistle:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Ohh but Rob, it ain't.  :007:

At least, not in uncivilised circles who drink things like larger mogas.  :008: :008: where ullage is just the opposite of a sounding, or as the API say 'ullage gauge (or outage)
The measured distance from the cargo liquid surface to the reference point.
'

Also, what on earth is 3/16th of an inch? Seems to be fractions and some olde measurements. Do you mean to say the last 5mm?
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 12:41 PM by 78 Bravo »