Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 12 Hour + Non Stop Versys Trip and an arse numbing experience!  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 2013
  • City / Town: Bangkok
Myself, Luke and Colin, members on this forum and a Thai based one, decided to take yet another trip. But beforehand, I installedl a new MRA xcm screen, rear mud guard and a 12v outlet.

I've got to say I'm really pissed off with the screen. For 7500bht it has offered no noticeable benefit over the original. To add to my woes, AP Racing Shop did a piss-poor install. First they over tightened the hand guards locking the throttle nearly causing me to lose control when I left. The rear mud guard was only bolted on on one side, the right-side was flapping around rubbing on the tire. And they blew the horn fuse while installing the 12v outlet. I've spent a fair bit with them, that's my last!

With no particular place to go we decided to head to Khao Yai via Nakon Nayok. After accidentally heading towards a pay toll motorway - forbidden for motorcycle- we did a quick U-turn in the opposite flow of the traffic down the hard shoulder. Once I figure out how to use the google GPS and avoid tolls, we were on our way and the arse pain was setting in alread!

Fortunately I'd modified my daughters car seat booster which she has grown out of.  It can only be describe as a giant sanitary towel.  It worked great and rapped around my arse leaving a hole for the chocolate starfish!  Anyway, after an hour or so we reached Nakon Nayok which is not too bad when heading out of Bangkok, the roads for the best part were pretty traffic free. However, not too far into the town, Colin flagged me down as Luke had disappeared. We thought he'd headed in the wrong direction but as it happens he was stuck behind a few cars when the lights changed.

We eventually approached Khao Yai National part. I was a little apprehensive as I'd heard they were refusing bikers, particularly if you have a loud exhaust. With clutch in I rolled up to the barrier behind my two biker friends. The gates were opened before we paid!

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
Re: 12 Hour + Non Stop Versys Trip and an arse numbing experience!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2014, 02:20 AM »

We plowed steadily on through the park stopping 10 mins in for a break and to catch the scenery.

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2014, 02:22 AM by Tikkytokk »

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2014, 02:24 AM »
After about an hour's ride through the park, a stop for a coffee, we checked in at the resort. Excess baggage dumped, a quick shower and a stretch of my fecked back, we headed on to Nakon Ratchisima.

After taking in the scenery, we headed back to our resort ready for the next morning's long 12 hr+ ride.

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2014, 02:26 AM »
Breakfast beaconed so we headed out around 8 am to look for a food joint. It's not as easy as it sounds. First you got to find a shop that is open which is easy. But finding a shop that is open with staff in it is another matter! After finding an open one that would suit a few bikers in leather studded caps, we tanked our bellies ready for the ride.

We reached a reservoir, took in the scenery and took the time for a stretch as my back was ceasing up.

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2014, 02:27 AM »
From this point on we headed to Sakeo and Pang Si da then back to bangkok which was just over 12hrs riding. As I'm still knackered, I'll let the video fill you in if you're interested.

For those interested in the sound of the Scorpion slip-on, fast forward to 6:50 onwards where the sound is much better after adjusting the mic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8yD316yIQ

Offline Britabroad

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2014, 03:00 AM »
Nice sound from the zorst & you might want to try pushing the top flexible section of the screen forward to deflect more wind.

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2014, 03:45 AM »
^Thanks.

I've tried the MRA on every setting.  It's set to max deflection already with no noticeable benefit at 80kph plus.

I may make some riser brackets to make the screen a little more vertical and see if that helps.

Offline Throttled

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2014, 01:34 PM »
I find the MRA to be at its best with it fitted to the highest fixing points on the fairing and the spoiler set to its middle setting.

For numb bums, I have a bumbag4bikers buckwheat bean bag. It is on eBay and here

http://www.bumbags4bikers.co.uk/

My longest trip in one day was 12 hours and it helped a lot.

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2014, 01:26 AM »
Thanks.

Those bum bags look like they might slip on braking?  I wondered if a decent pair of padded cycling pants might do the trip.

Offline Robot

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 ABS
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Cycling pants do help - I managed a 10 hour day when running in in relative comfort. Only problem is that "Have I crapped myself?" feeling when you get off the bike :)