Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 1 man, Mount Krajom and 3 falls!  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 2013
  • City / Town: Bangkok
1 man, Mount Krajom and 3 falls!
« on: Nov 02, 2014, 12:48 AM »
Needing to get out from the long hours I did over the last few week, I decided to take a lone trip up Khao Krajom; a day trip there and back.   Iíve done it a few times in a 4x4 and I went so far on the Versys with the supplied Dunlops before turning back some time ago.  On this occasion it was a little wet in places and rained on my decent.   The only thing I can say is I expected to fall off, and I did!

The camera doesnít do the steepness justice at all, in fact, it looks flat on the video.  At the first stop as I walk away from the bike, you can get an idea of how steep the hills are, some were much steeper.
Just before I walked away from the bike to check the surface, I glanced back and stopped the bike, and even though the bike was on the tarmac that was left, the bike slip backwards with wheels locked.

Eventually when I passed the first climb, at one point I reached a section of wet clay and thought best to try and power up the hill keeping momentum as it was very steep, but the Scorpions had no traction at all and I lost the back-end, subsequently I went one way and the bike the other.  Unfortunately the jolt messed both action cameras up so I didnít record this event.  No damage to the bike, however.

On the decent I was a little apprehensive in the wet section from the previous fall so I took it steady and tried to keep where there was gravel or a little rough, but like a noob I forgot to disconnect the ABS on the first decent which is very steep, sending the ABS into a frenzy.  As I was building momentum I turned the wheel into a bit of a rut to stop the bike before letting it on its side.  Oddly the action camera makes the hills look flat, believe me, theyíre not.   My third I was standing on the pegs leaning back a little as the rear was trying to swing round, but the front lost it and I ended up in a ditch.

In hindsight it was a bad decision to do the run by myself.  My two biker mates planned a 3 day trip to Hua Hin which I couldnít join, so I took a day trip out myself.  Falls and all I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It was cloudy, but the view and cool fresh air for a change was beautiful.

If you watch this, I've included music in parts as the Drift Ghost S mic is piss poor.  You'll hear in parts.

Motorcycle Adventure - 1 man, Khao Krajom and 3 falls
I robbed these Images from groups who've done it on smaller more suitable bikes.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014, 12:11 AM by Tikkytokk »

Offline Dr Bones

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2008 Versys
  • City / Town: Loughborough
Re: 1 man, Mount Krajom and 3 falls!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Awesome, video, well done, Some of those sections coming down looked pretty hairy (especially the clay ones). What was your back out plan if something went seriously wrong? Were you far from help of you needed it?

Where's Muddy? this looks like a new challenge for him!
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2014, 09:37 AM by Dr Bones »

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Africa Twin
  • City / Town: CONSETT
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:38 AM »
 :123A:
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2010 KLE 650 CAF
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Cool video.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

Looks like you need to invest in some knobblies.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2014, 12:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

Looks like you need to invest in some knobblies.

Funny you mention that. I planned this a month ago and originally ordered some Hiedenau K60 0r 72, whichever were in stock at the time.  Neither were so I opted for Pirelli MT60s.  Headed to Kawasaki to have them installed but when I arrived they had been sold! This is Thailand. I will do it again in December with Heidenau as a review.

Offline Tikkytokk

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2014, 12:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dr Bones [+]
Awesome, video, well done, Some of those sections coming down looked pretty hairy (especially the clay ones). What was your back out plan if something went seriously wrong? Were you far from help of you needed it?

Where's Muddy? this looks like a new challenge for him!
At the bottom of the mountain there is a both and barrier, usually with an attendant or military as the mountain is used to protect the Thai/Burma border.  If you ask they will provide you with a walkie talkie.  There is nothing in the way of help in between the top or bottom.  You might be fortunate enough to pass a 4x4 as I was on my third fall.  But like I said with the weather, I expected to fall off at some point so I was at least mentally prepared.

Offline Britabroad

• Ex Member
  • Versys God
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Your video has been removed!?!?!?! :187: