Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Saturday's Route  (Read 8702 times)

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Saturday's Route
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by fw750x [+]
Hi Towerman is the First Picture Taken at Crawford Pass ? If it is i hope you all get a clear day as the Views up there are Awesome. Francis

:028: :028:

but it is called the Dalveen Pass  :028:

and on Goggle Maps Streetview HERE :123A:

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2016, 08:10 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

Offline mike5100

• Versys God
  • Durham
  • Bike: NC750X 2016
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by fw750x [+]
Hi Towerman is the First Picture Taken at Crawford Pass ? If it is i hope you all get a clear day as the Views up there are Awesome. Francis
I have done that winding pass twice now - it's up between Mennock and Elvanfoot I think isn't it Richard?  It is truly stunning and stupidly each time I have failed to stop and take a pic as the road unfolds.
Mike
PS Just looked at your google maps link and I don't think it does it justice - they have I think used a wide angle lens which has reduced the scale of the scenery and there's a world of difference when the sun's out - which it has been on both occasions I have been through it.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2016, 08:49 PM by mike5100 »

Offline Pneumatician

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1100RS etc
  • City / Town: Burntwood
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Looks fantastic.   :152:  We have spent many holidays in Scotland but that was a long time ago and was either in Edinburgh (with relatives) or in the Highlands. Slight interlude at Fort William Hospital (dropped a GTR). :goggle:   I estimate the am route to be approx 130 miles ?  I may have to do the PM route on Sunday or miss my afternoon nap  :001:

Offline fw750x

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650cc
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2016, 09:42 PM »
Just to the right of the First Picture Down in the Valley is a small Farm house , The last time I was going up the Dalveen Pass Cheers Richard the Farmer was going out to move the sheep down to a lower level. I parked the bike and watched, The two Sheepdogs were up and down the Massive hill like rockets and the Farmer on a quad, They work very well as a team. Just watch for the Kink in the road Just before you get to Elvanfoot it nearly caught me out one Year .Fantastic Part of the Country up there Enjoy the Run Folks. Francis

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2016, 10:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pneumatician [+]
Looks fantastic.   :152:  We have spent many holidays in Scotland but that was a long time ago and was either in Edinburgh (with relatives) or in the Highlands. Slight interlude at Fort William Hospital (dropped a GTR). :goggle:   I estimate the am route to be approx 130 miles ?  I may have to do the PM route on Sunday or miss my afternoon nap  :001:
With a few tweaks to go, the routes are now:

am ~100 miles of reasonably fast flowing open scratching bros roads :028:
pm ~ 50 miles of photogenic semi goat track roads  :152:

With plenty of stops to have a fag / banter and group photo's + plus Ice cream  :015:

However these routes can be easily extended if need be  :007:

Online Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Towerman, As there is just 1 month until the big day has it been decided where we will meet up on the Friday night for a couple of beers etc  :031:
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline flying v

• Versys Master
  • Bike: triple traitor
  • City / Town: hednesford
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2016, 07:35 AM »
May I suggest the bar at buccleuch arms hotel Dave and Clint love all things bikes and looking at the numbers we will need the biggest bar!  There is also a beer garden that we can spill into.
Having tried all the pubs in the village and there is not a bad one,  I think  this one will be  able to accommodate  us

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2016, 10:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Onslowe [+]
Towerman, As there is just 1 month until the big day has it been decided where we will meet up on the Friday night for a couple of beers etc  :031:
*Originally Posted by flying v [+]
May I suggest the bar at buccleuch arms hotel Dave and Clint love all things bikes and looking at the numbers we will need the biggest bar!  There is also a beer garden that we can spill into.
Having tried all the pubs in the village and there is not a bad one,  I think  this one will be  able to accommodate  us

Just so happens that i'm just writing up a few suggestions / details on this very subject and food options, so watch this space (or a new thread)  :1: :152:

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2016, 11:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by flying v [+]

well I hope there's a tea garden too............ :015:

Offline EasyTiger

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2016, 02:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
well I hope there's a tea garden too............ :015:
If you have a scone, Wal, you'll double your weight and halve your mpg...
Happy Memories of a Moondust Grey '09 Versys Tourer.
If you ever start taking life too seriously, remember you are a talking ape orbiting the galaxy at 446,400 MPH on a deteriorating organic spaceship.