Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Boosterplug  (Read 36678 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Boosterplug
« Reply #220 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by mileee [+]
Main thing that i want to solve is, and i would not call it a problem is that jerkiness when u are for example on 4th gear and in low rpms.
I know it can never be like 4 cylinder machine, with which u can go in 6th gear and drive at 2000-3000rpm no problem, but hope it makes it better.

Also when i ride passenger and i shift down, bike is realy acting ugly since engine breaking pretty strong.

I don't know why you would think it can't be as smooth as a 4 cyl bike.  It's just as smooth, it's all a question of tuning.  Not to mention, Red bikes have no such issues.  I can lug it to 2500 in 6th and it pulls smoothly from there. 

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline mileee

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #221 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:34 PM »
Well it cant be smooth because its just the nature of 2vs4 cylinders. In order to pull smootly with my mk3 2018 in 6th gear from down below i gotta be kung fu master with clutch and i will still get kangaroo effect, while on 4cylinder u can go 6th gear 20mph and then accelerate with no problem. (drove a little bit kawasaki z750s from 2005 and honda cbf 1000 from 2009 and both machine got that feeling in high gears down below)
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019, 11:36 PM by mileee »

Offline dougep

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
« Reply #222 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by johnboy51 [+]
I eventually purchased an Accelerator Module from Marc at www.sol2.be for my 2016 mk3 650.

It was substantially cheaper (58) than the Boosterplug but on the other hand Marc is not quick, rarely communicates and doesn't send any instructions. This isn't his main occupation I believe. However he did eventually email me with a price and the module arrived within a week or so and if you look at Youtube you can find instructions on how to fit the Boosterplug which is very similar.  Fitting was relatively simple.

Thought I'd chip in, since this thread was a help when I got my new Versys 1000 and had the same low-speed issues. Like John, I went with the Accelerator Module, with much the same result. Communication was a bit slow and frustrating at times, but it turned up pretty much when expected, appears well made, and does exactly what it's supposed to. First and second are much more usable gears at low speed now, with far less clutch work needed. All in all a big  :152:  from me. Fuel-wise, consumption actually seems to have dropped about 5% from 5.8l/100km to 5.5, though traffic has been lighter the last week so could just be that. Certainly not looking like any increase.

Doug.

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #223 on: Jan 07, 2019, 12:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Siberman [+]
This post has been read nearly twenty thousand times so there are, presumably, a fair few riders with the same bucking broncho Versys's like mine. Anyway, managed to get one and am trying to find a machine to make more time so that I can fit it!  :187:

If we are talking 2015 -2016 Kawasaki Versys 650, seems a few people had a quick look at my post and that was it. More detail of why the booster plug may work but the flash available for the 2015 & 2016 is far superior.  a https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,24456.0.html

I copied my post from another forum and edited it.
This was my question:
My question, is the intake air temperature directly related to fuel mixture & timing, as that is what it seems as to booster plugs.

And a answer:
Yes, there's an ambient condition sensor that will richen the fuel as needed with outside cooler temps. That's what the booster plug is doing. the problem is that there is a weird fueling strategy in the ecu that has both cylinders operating with different fuel charts, and they switch, where one is richer and the other leaner for a couple thousand rpm, and then they reverse. .. so in that area ( below 4000 RPM where the problem exists) the booster plug would be adding fuel... not a strategy I think is viable.

So my take on this topic, adding a booster plug, doesn't involve removing your ECU , is possibly cheaper and easily reversed if you decide to return to OEM. Since I have owned a 2007 and adjusted the TPS and now own a 2015 and have had the ECU flashed, I can honestly say it is like a new bike. Several comments in the other thread I started mentioned no one riding in the below 4000 RPM range, speaking for myself, many small towns I pass through have 60 KM/HR speed limits, the highway speeds into and out of are typically 80 to 90 KM/HR. I can now ride down to 2500 RPM at 60 KM/HR in 6th gear and accelerate back up to 80 KM/HR , without changing gear
  Also gone is the abrupt off throttle engine braking and low RPM snatchy throttle  response.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2019, 12:40 AM by InverterMan »

Offline Jmclad1981

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #224 on: Feb 26, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Had one of these on my BMW K1300r a few years back, really helped smooth out a jerky throttle and improved throttle response. I recommend it a lot. You just need to find a good position for the thermometer probe, away from warm parts of the engine as keeping it as cold as possible is the whole point.

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Newark, Delaware
« Reply #225 on: Feb 27, 2019, 12:46 AM »
Bought one, never got around to installing it on my US-spec 2015, and very glad I didn't because I recently had the ECU re-flashed by Shoodaben Engineering and it totally transformed the bike.   https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home/versys-650-ecu-flash
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2019, 12:48 AM by Doug Just Doug »
2015 Versys 650 "ABS" model

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #226 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug [+]
Bought one, never got around to installing it on my US-spec 2015, and very glad I didn't because I recently had the ECU re-flashed by Shoodaben Engineering and it totally transformed the bike.   https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home/versys-650-ecu-flash
Thanks for the back up, the UK owners apparently don't use the 2500 to 4000 RPM so it would be a waste of time and money, like I said a booster plug would be cheaper and almost accomplish the same results , just use more fuel and be less fuel efficient .