Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Avon trail riders  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Versysdaz14

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Mossley
Re: Avon trail riders
« Reply #30 on: Oct 20, 2017, 09:45 PM »
I have been reading this religiously for a while now and they seem to spank any other tyre for life and they give a great review

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #31 on: Oct 20, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Dr. B, I have a set on my V-Strom. While they are good tires, I doubt I'll get the sort of mileage claimed in that link (or that I see other people get). Very different bikes and riding style.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Dr Bones

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2008 Versys
  • City / Town: Loughborough
« Reply #32 on: Oct 20, 2017, 10:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Dr. B, I have a set on my V-Strom. While they are good tires, I doubt I'll get the sort of mileage claimed in that link (or that I see other people get). Very different bikes and riding style.

Gustavo

I always read things with an open mind G, but what that link suggests is that these tyres won't be worn out in 5000 miles and will probably last a good few more miles too.  :028:

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #33 on: Oct 20, 2017, 10:33 PM »
I have to check the current mileage, but IIRC,  the other day I estimated about 7K miles out of the set I have. So, not 5K like some sport touring rubber, but not a lot more.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2017, 07:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dr Bones [+]
Maybe we don't need to worry about the life of these tyres Ted? These guys seem to have beaten the crap out of their trailriders and still got good mileage from them

http://earth-roamers.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/the-new-avon-trailrider.html

Blimey, what a fantastic trip, and equally fantastic tyres.
Ted.

Offline Tony the oldie

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1000 Green
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Yes Ted - entirely agree - absolutely fantastic

Tony

Offline Versaki

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:42 PM »
What I don't understands is that there are adequate rear 17" semi off road tyres but a VERY POOR (or More to the point CRAP  :013:) selection of 17" fronts!

What we need is for Avon to make a 110/80/17 ... then we wont have to faff around with fitting 19" rims ... go on Avon ... DO IT!
Life is like riding a bike, itís all about balance and momentum, hesitate and stop and youíll fall off!

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: A Superior Mk1 V
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Versaki [+]
What I don't understands is that there are adequate rear 17" semi off road tyres but a VERY POOR (or More to the point CRAP  :013:) selection of 17" fronts!

What we need is for Avon to make a 110/80/17 ... then we wont have to faff around with fitting 19" rims ... go on Avon ... DO IT!
Avon do the TrailRider in the std V front size of 120/70ZR17  :027:

National Versys Meet - 18th to 20th May 2018
Location - Forest of Dean / Ross-on-Wye  -  Details HERE  :028:
:biker3:

Offline Versaki

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Hey TowerMan.
I'm no offroad guru but I have a reasonable idea of what will, and what wont work on the rough. In my opinion, a 120/70 17" tyre is only good for looking good!

What you really want on a heavy trail bike, is to have the ability for the front to be narrow (to dig into the terrain to allow the thread to bite), to be of a high profile and run a low'ish pressure (this will give the tyre a good chance to mold its self to the terrine without causing pinch flats). Hence the reason why most true offroad rubber is 110/80 or even 110/90

120/70 will only float over the rough, and the profile is such that (once the going gets rough or the speed starts to build) pinch flats will become inevitable.

what I don't understand are 2 basic facts: (1) there are loads of options for a 17" rear but no decent profiles for a 17" front and (2) so many manufacturers are now producing touring and dual bikes with 17" font and rear, that I just can't understand why the tyre manufacturers haven't caught on ... WHY? :125: :192:
Life is like riding a bike, itís all about balance and momentum, hesitate and stop and youíll fall off!

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I guess you are stuck with the tkc 80.
It is still a 120/70.
If the going is too tough for that one then "in my opinion" the versus is the wrong bike.
Ted.