Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Paddock Stand Bobbins Mk2 650  (Read 930 times)

Offline Creasey

• Versys Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Dublin
Paddock Stand Bobbins Mk2 650
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »
Hello all,

First post and hope you can help please, I am trying to find out the bolt size for paddock stand bobbins. I bought 8mm and 10mm ones, the 8s were too small so must be the 10s I thought. The 10s screwed in a turn or two by hand, albeit a bit stiff. Got allen key and turned them in another turn or two. The bolts got tighter too early to screw all the way home. Removed and threads on the swing arm side appeared shiny and slightly chewed up. Can anyone confirm correct size and thread pattern. The ones I have don't say what the thread pattern info is. Anyone know how many threads there should be on the correct bolt maybe? Have searched here and elsewhere and cant find definitive answer.

2012 Versys 650, a Mk2 I believe.

Thanks,Creasey.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Paddock Stand Bobbins Mk2 650
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:58 AM »

I can't answer your question directly, but I do know that those threads on the swing arm get plugged up with dirt and other misc. crud pretty quickly. I always give mine a shot of WD40 before turning in the bolts that I use to support the rear end. There have been occasions when I have had to turn in the bolt by hand until it sticks then take it out again, blast the hole with more WD40, turn in a little further etc. Do this until you can feel the end of the bolt with your finger, coming through on the other side. Those bobbin holders are a bit flimsy imo.

I'm pretty sure you're right about 10 mm bolts for the Mk2 but I don't remember the pitch.
 Worst case scenario you might have to tap the threads if they are chewed up, but that's not desirable as they are alumin(i)um and wear easily.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: FZ1 SA,
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 06:17:11 AM »
It is not a standard M10 with a 1.5 pitch, which i guess you have.
You will need M10 with a 1.25 pitch.
I hereby state that Kawdog is a fantastic person to have on your motorcycle forum.
His comments are (usually) equally as valid as all other available comments and each is (usually) perfectly reasonable. I applaud (almost) all of his opinions!!

Offline Creasey

• Versys Newbie
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »
Hello Uralrob and Stewie,

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned the swing arm threads and same problem but good suggestion all the same. I hopefully will get 1.25 pitch ones tomorrow, go home, fit them and get rear wheel off and then get back to shop to get tyre replaced.

With regards to bolts, if a bolt says M10 with no further info you can assume it is the standard 1.50 pitch, aka coarse. It will only specify pitch if it is not the standard 1.50. M10's come in standard, fine 1.25 and superfine 1.0. Well thats what my research threw up.

I went to many hardware shops trying to find a fine or superfine M10 bolt to verify which bobbin I needed but they are generally not to be found here in Ireland. I intend leaving the bobbins in full time with the help of some thread lock. Also aluminium is prone to warping a little if you were to regularly tighten bobbin bolts, this might cause another problem down the road.

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Pro
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:45 AM »
Oxford bobbins look a good bet Creasey, if you can find a stockist. They list M10 fine (1.25mm pitch) and normal M10 (1.5mm). A lot of online just list M10, like the R&Gs.

It's an odd one this because i had to contact Stevie Mann ( the Bike-Jack bloke, good bloke) about the supplied threaded pins. I received M8 and M10 but my MkII has
M10 fine like yours, Stevie's has M10  :033:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline Creasey

• Versys Newbie
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:36:30 AM »
Good call Craigasaki on the Oxford bobbins, they have a good selection and it's clear what size and pitch each one is. A shop near me is going to order in the spinners and hopefully that will solve my prob.

A friend gave me some chinese ones to try, they were M10s and finer than 1.50. They looked like 1.25 but didn't screw in very well, too tight. May have been 1.00 or maybe just not very well made.

The M10x1.50 that I had, I gave to my mate who has a KTM 950SM, they fit ok but were too short to go all the way in, needed another 10 or 20 mm on the length. So a lot of confusion out there on bobbins it seems.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Stevie Mann

• Authorised Small Trader
  • Versys Pro
  • Musician at heart
  • Bike: 2016 Versys
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »
Hi I supply 8mm bolts for the Mk2 and 10mm bolts for the Mk1 with the Bike Jack can't say about the pitch these are standard bolts from a supplier and they fit same as my bobbins, not the first I've heard with this problem think some have use the wrong bolts somewhere along the line.
Always looking for gigs country, 60's, Rock n Roll

Bike Jack - check or clean your chain, wheel or rear tyre without the need of a Centre Stand or a Paddock Stand.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »

Both my 08 Mk1 and 014 Mk 2  take 10 mm bolts in the bobbin lugs.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: MoonDustGrey Mk1
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 01:58:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie Mann [+]
Hi I supply 8mm bolts for the Mk3 and 10mm bolts for the Mk1 & Mk2 with the Bike Jack can't say about the pitch these are standard bolts from a supplier and they fit same as my bobbins, not the first I've heard with this problem think some have use the wrong bolts somewhere along the line.
Corrected it for you  :028:

National Versys Meet - 18th to 20th May 2018
Location - Forest of Dean / Ross-on-Wye  -  Details HERE  :028:
:biker3:

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Pro
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie Mann [+]
....these are standard bolts from a supplier and they fit same as my bobbins, not the first I've heard with this problem think some have use the wrong bolts somewhere along the line.

See my post further up Stevie.

After i talked to you i checked the threads on mine and they are a good, clean 1.25mm pitch M10 (no re-thread), appen the same as Creasey's, yet yours are 1.50mm.

Kawasaki must be playing games  :002:
More tea, no biscuits

allergic