Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: chain sprockets  (Read 6497 times)

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
Re: chain sprockets
« Reply #50 on: Dec 14, 2021, 10:17 PM »
New sprocket fitted!

Used new nut and washer.

The new nut was iffy and didn't screw on nice and smooth as expected. I had to screw on and off a few times, cleaning with WD-40 in-between each go. The thread was a little dirty but mostly it seemed to be machining left overs I removed. It wasn't perfect but screwed on a little easier afterwards.

I discovered that during the many attempts to get the nut off, my socket had actually cracked....in three places!! Just goes to show how much pressure we were putting through it!
Thankfully Halfords are open until 8 and 5min drive away.
It gave me the chance to buy a decent socket and I can recommend to anyone else attempting this to get a Halfords Advance 27mm Deep Hexagon IMPACT socket!
The 5 sides means that the socket holds the nut better and the deep socket gave enough room to apply pressure on the torx drive and stay clear of the engine casing and frame!
Let the new chain soak in chain lube before fitting.

Fitted the new chain using new chain tool and I can say that it does make a difference, although fiddly.

I'm disappointed with the quality of the nut, new and old.
It's incredibly soft alloy and I can't stress enough how important it is to use a good quality, tight fitting socket. Even when tightening up I had to be careful not to let the socket slip. I advise building up the strength using a torx wrench slowly and make sure you take in all the slack before tightening.
Don't forget to tighten the back wheel and adjust chain correctly before finishing up.

Overall this experience has provided me with valuable experience and I'm glad I did it.
However, it was unnecessarily difficult and hard work, it's sadly lowered my opinion of Kawasaki significantly.

But I'm grateful for all the help and advice from everyone and I can say that it would have been a lot harder and more frustrating without you all, the forum is superb!
Thanks to everyone
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #51 on: Dec 15, 2021, 05:45 PM »
Rode to work tonight.

45min run and I'm pleased to say that everything stayed attached and I made it to work safely.

The little V feels great, almost like a new bike again!

New tyres are a lot different from what I'm used to, as expected. But they feel as equally good, it was dry but lots of crud in some of the country lanes and temp was cool. I'm pleased to say that I still had confidence to push on, filter and lean into the bends. Bridgestone T30 Evo's  :028:

New chain and sprockets transform the gear changes and throttle response. She feels a whole lot more responsive and playful. just goes to show how much the old ones were worn.

Take care everyone and thanks for reading  :028:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #52 on: Dec 16, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Bit late to the party here, but I put some copper grease on mine before tightening. It had come loose despite me thinking I had tightened it good and proper. I took it off and gave the threads a good clean and grease and it was fine thereafter and easy to get off the next time I changed it.

I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.