Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: chain sprockets  (Read 6496 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Ultimate God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: chain sprockets
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:48 PM »

Gustavo is right about using a bar. You need to take all the flex out of the drive train that you can. Wood is too soft. Even the rubber cush drive in the hub is a hindrance in this instance.
 The bike should be slightly to the right of vertical to reduce the tendency of the socket to slip off the nut and round the outer end. Put a bolt into each of the bobbin holders on the underside of the swing arm and a jackstand under those bolts, leaving the rear wheel still on the floor. I use a 3 ft length of heavy pipe over a 2 ft breaker bar , giving a total extension of about 4 ft. Make sure that the socket is seated absolutely square on the nut. You'll get between 45 and 90 degrees of take up from the chain and cushdrive before the nut finally lets go, so you need to be sure you have clearance at the end of the pipe for this amount of wind up.

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:54 PM »
It appears that the Versys is not the only Kawasaki to have front sprocket problems

Richard    :001: 

PS -        

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

"If not then a die grinder and chisel to split the nut amd replace with new."

Bearing in mind that this is only for those of steady hand and good eye. Otherwise goodbye to the threads on the sprocket shaft.

How to split the cases can be found in the Service manual section 9- 10  :007: .

Rob.

Rob is not wrong there, it can be a bit risky!

You could try a torque multiplier but they are expensive.
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/torque-multipliers/c/031402

Offline Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:21 AM »
Might be a bit late for this advice but always use an Impact socket with only six sides for this type of job as standard 12 point sockets cannot take the extreme torque required and will potentially round off the nut or split the socket and cause injury if it suddenly lets go when you are hanging on the end of the scaffold bar. In the past, though not on the versys, I have used the cheap mains powered impact gun from machine mart but it sounds as though it may not have enough power for this particular job.  Some of the portable battery powered Impact wrenches have fantastic torque capacities, can you hire one locally ? Good luck.
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline uralrob

• Versys Ultimate God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:25 PM »

+ 1 about 12 pt sockets.

Impact socket for this job.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Right that's it, we've now tried all the suggestions above in one way or another. Including impact driver's/rattle guns electronic and air powered.

Decided to try grinding it off now, especially as the nut has started to round and any socket is at risk of slipping off, as such, risking injury and further damage to the bike.

I have been on phone to dealer who have admitted to having to grind a couple off in the past too, but only a couple.
They don't have a nut in stock but have kindly passed me on to Fowler's parts in Bristol and I have ordered one for 22.

When it arrives I shall be grinding off the old nut, but for now she's left sitting in the garage.
Not likely to have another update for you all until next week folks, but please do stayed tuned to find out what happens next in Kawanutty!!  :006:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2021, 12:29 PM »
Thats how my first sprocket had to come off, tried everythuing and then the grinder
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2021, 02:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Thats how my first sprocket had to come off, tried everythuing and then the grinder

It's just frustratingly unnecessary!

I know I've done everything right and there's no need for it to be this hard. I'm sure a garage would have been able to do it if I'd taken it in straight away, or at least kept going and never told me the struggle!

Chain and sprockets are wearable items and need to be replaced at fairly reasonable intervals, what is the point making it so tough?

I'm now sitting, waiting for parts to arrive, I've ordered a new washer as well, just for good measure, as the way things are going I might just take the grinder to the whole thing!!

It's going to be Friday at earliest before they're delivered and I'm not off work until Monday now 🤬
The V will be sold before I actually get to wear any of this in (tyres, chain and sprockets).

The whole idea of doing it myself was to learn a bit more and to save money.

I can say that I've learned, not to try this on a Kawasaki again and ended up spending more money!

The lesson is DON'T DO THIS AT HOME KIDS  :182:  :008:

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2021, 09:27 PM »
Parts arrived.

New nut and washer, both ordered from Fowler's parts and arrived relatively quickly. They are both genuine Kawasaki parts as well, which is nice.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #49 on: Dec 14, 2021, 09:38 PM »
Nut finally off!

Not easy, even when cutting.

Took a grinder and special side cutter kinda thing, hammer and chisel.

I still can't work out why it was so difficult to remove. The only thing I found was a lot of grit and crud stuck in and around the nut and sprocket, but it was cleaned not too long ago so inside wasn't as dirty as it might have been.

Once off, I did clean the whole area with a stiff brush and every motorists favourite deodorant, WD-40!