Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wild Atlantic Way  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Wild Atlantic Way
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:35 PM »
No, I am not Ted just a plastic Paddy me but my dad was born 400 yrds from that exact point and I had that cottage handed down to me as a wreck which I renovated over the years.Its a well known cottage, my Grandfather was a champion dancer and played music so it was a kinda party house/open door/school, before my time mind but its no surprise I am good for carrying on really. Spent 6-8 weeks of every summer from when I was born until I was around 18 over there, then I found Playa de las Americas in Tenerife  :38:
Nearest Town is Miltown Malbay where Mum was from, her dad was the baker of the town originally but again before my time. When I was young the town had something like 120 premises, 75 of them licensed to sell alcohol.
Its not called the wild west for nothing  :008:

I have two sisters who were also born in London like me who moved over there the liked it so much and settled. I have them, loads of nieces, nephews, aunts , uncles  and cousins over there. I get over there most years for around 3 weeks all told, not this or next year as I have too much to do here. One of my sisters fella is from Lisdoon, his mother wrote a fantastic book on foraging to live of the land as she had to when she was a girl. And yes Willy Daly still organises the match making, in between running a donkey farm and a pub.

I was back there about 5 weeks ago, nothing much changes but everything changes. They are a very forward looking nation, very into Europe as they have reaped serious benefits from it, the kids see Europe and the world as where they will go to earn a living, nothing to keep them home, then they return when they made a few bob to settle down. BUT the cost of living way out west, OMG, I just cannot fathom out how they can afford to live. Pub lunch, 15 Euro's, 15 feckin euros, before a drink, starter or desert. jeez.

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Thanks for that Clunky. VERY interesting.
Ted.

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:05 PM »
I've remembered, it was Phil Gunn,
Did you ever come across him Clunky?
Ted.

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2017, 03:14 PM »

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline stevemersey

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2017, 12:57 PM »
I love the west coast even if in some places the roads are a little busy, there are just so many places to see, eat and drink and have your breath taken away, it more than makes up for the coaches in the hot spots.

Offline bobthebiker

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:07 PM »
There's some fantastic spots along the WAW and in my opinion the best way to do the route is by either taking a few weeks to do it (time off work an issue) or by doing it a section at a time (tricky if you're travelling from the UK) For example this year a few weeks before the NVM I did the section from Kinsale...starting at a place called Charles Fort to Dursey Island...on the Beara Penninsula and I took 4 days to do it. About 12 hour days but you're stopping a lot taking pictures and the like.

You can do the whole thing in a few days but you'll be missing out on a lot.

It's had a massive advertising push in the last few years and Ireland is really using it to draw the tourists in and of course the down side to that is the price of everything. B&Bs and pub lunches......everything really has become quite expensive :003:

There really are some amazing roads along it tho which in particular are perfect for the Versys!!

On a side note that chap Phil Gunn is one of the most recommended bike transportation lads in Ireland. I don't know the chap myself but he's constantly recommended on Irelands bike forums.