Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Decisions, decisions  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: KDX200, ZRX1200R
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Re: Decisions, decisions
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 12:37:00 AM »
like to head for out of the way, rough, single-track lanes

Tiger 800

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
Your list started off well, then came number 2.  :008: :008:

Also, I find the discussion of used vs. new to be futile. It is often easier (even if more expensive) to take the finance route than it is for many people to come up with a few grand in spare cash (which hasn't been earmarked for other things). I feel it's too personal a thing to comment on, particularly with regards to non-essential items, such as bikes (unless sole mode of transport), toys, farkles etc. And let's be honest, new bikes are cheap on finance - I am more than happy to spend a monthly 120 to have a new bike (albeit on HP not PCP - so I get to keep it - and at 0%) just for the benefit of shinyness, even though I can understand the mathematical proof behind 8k > 3k.

So, to go back to the original question:

Do you feel that a bigger engine will be okay, even though you anticipate riding less enthusiastically? (IMHO, I loved the Versys 1000, but I wouldn't buy the motor as it brings out the worst in me. I feel that it enticed me to take those overtakes I might not have otherwise taken and to open the throttle more, just for sheer joy. It is not suitable for me on my commute. But I would like more power for those longer journeys and touring.)

So, for me, my contenders would be:

mk3 V650  :028:
f850GS
Tiger 800
Tracer 900
Honda 750X / crossrunner

I note a lack of a KTM 1090 (Seat height might be a bit high - I haven't checked).

Offline aldel

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2017
  • City / Town: Brussels
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »
Nothing really wrong with any of the bikes in your list.

The important thing here, in my opinion, is which bike would be easier to live with (ride, move around etc) in relation to the problem with your spine. I would guess this should be something lightweight with a low center of gravity and lowish seat height. The NC750X looks like a safe bet. The tracers are featherweight (for their category) as well, but slightly taller. You cant really know until you test ride I guess...
Shall we ride, or what? :-)

Online Boggs

• Versys God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Co Durham
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
Seeing as you were such a fan of your Mk1,you'd be daft not to test the Mk3 and see how far it has evolved,the niggly so called gripes some owners highlighted were addressed on the Mk3,not that they bothered me,the biggest thing you'll notice if you take a Mk3 out is how much more improved the brakes are compared to it's predecessors and they fitted ABS as standard with the Mk3.

:031:
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-KAWASAKI VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899

Online Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: trashed
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Boggs [+]
Seeing as you were such a fan of your Mk1,you'd be daft not to test the Mk3 and see how far it has evolved,the niggly so called gripes some owners highlighted were addressed on the Mk3,not that they bothered me,the biggest thing you'll notice if you take a Mk3 out is how much more improved the brakes are compared to it's predecessors and they fitted ABS as standard with the Mk3.

:031:
Niggles never bothered me right much either but the refined aspects of the MK3 do add appeal.
A great bike that suited me well, so why not get another...hmmm  :notsure:

'I note a lack of a KTM 1090'
Everything I've read says they're bonkers to ride  :107:

*Originally Posted by aldel [+]
Nothing really wrong with any of the bikes in your list.

The important thing here, in my opinion, is which bike would be easier to live with (ride, move around etc) in relation to the problem with your spine. I would guess this should be something lightweight with a low center of gravity and lowish seat height. The NC750X looks like a safe bet. The tracers are featherweight (for their category) as well, but slightly taller. You cant really know until you test ride I guess...
A bit unknown until I get on one, but I'm expecting / hoping for a full recovery. More a question of lost confidence really. I'm sure I'll get my mojo back in time. Which means your advice and...

*Originally Posted by EasyTiger [+]
As an interim bike to the Tracer, you might consider an NC750 DCT X or S or even :5: an Integra - the same bike underneath, but with an armchair for a seat and no need to move a leg. There's serious money off current models at the moment (up to 1,300 on a new X). Used ones are easy to source.
You can begin an outing by shifting manually, using the flappy paddles or an electric foot switch. As you tire, you can let the two clutches do the work automatically.  An Aprilia Mana can serve this purpose too.
The DCT takes a lot of effort out of riding, which may mean you can return to the road earlier...
could make a lot of sense.

Getting something out of this coaching session thanks all - helping me to think straight(er) - keep it coming  :031:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Online Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by EasyTiger [+]
... or even :5: an Integra - the same bike underneath...

speaking of which...
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/niken/niken.aspx

A wolf in sheep's clothing?
Maybe I should add that to my list  :5:

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
None of them,wouldn't even think about it. Your going to bed at 9 pm don't know when you will feel normalish. Sack it off,get better then think about what you really really want out of life. If your still hobbling about it will be one thing if you are doing Iron Man RU s another. I get the having a goal and a focus but I think u have enough.
Just saying like, tell me to feck off and mind my own business if u want
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys Master
  • Bike: versys 1000 015
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 07:40:54 PM »
As a big Kawasaki fan, and a bit biased, here is my 2ps worth.  Both versions of Versys are cracking bikes, and the little one benefits from being developed over many years, and after riding a demo bike for a full day I can report that mother Kawasaki has made a great job of it, lots better suspension and brakes, and an altogether sorted bomb proof value for money bike. The big Versys (Which I presently own) is simply the best bike that I have ever owned, with an engine that is just a peach. It will go very quickly if you so desire, but can also double as a pussycat. So you cannot go wrong with either of those.

Neither of the BMWs would appear on any wanted list from myself. Over many years, and with lots of friends owning BMs, they have always disappointed with multiple issues of breakdowns, warranty work, and recalls.

I have very recently test ridden both Suzukis, and whilst not liking the 1000cc version I thought the 650 was a great bit of kit, and I really enjoyed that bike a lot.
The Hondas :question: I really think that Honda have lost their way this last few years, releasing under developed bikes, and constantly trying to be too technologically clever for their own good. DCT, 2 Clutches, bah humbug.

Triumph !!!!!. Again, I have close mates who I ride out with, who have owned Tiger 800s, Trophy's and Explorers. A have had lots of grief, lots of breakdowns and masses of warranty work. So no not for me.

Pan Euro :question:  Nah, too big, too heavy.

Guzzi  :question: I have wanted to buy a Guzzi for as long as I can remember. but have never been brave enough to do so. I have test rode them all, but could not trust them to stay in one piece. Although V7 mk3 is just a beautiful thing to look at.

And finally the Tracers. I admit to having never ridden one, and would think the engine is a cracker. But the rest of the bike leaves me cold. I have also noticed lots of very low mileage ones in dealer showrooms :notsure:. And folk that have owned them tell me that the suspension is poor quality, and gives a very unsatisfactory ride. They also say that the seat is an instrument of torture.

So FOR ME it would come down to the 650 Strom, or either of the Kawasaki's. I will keep my big Versys until it becomes too big and heavy for me to manage. And if that day came tomorrow, it would be the little Versys for me.

A bike that has stood the test of time, still looks good, looks even more solid, (unlike lots of modern stuff). Is as reliable as an axe, goes like stink. And most importantly is superb value for money.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:43:46 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys Master
  • Bike: versys 1000 015
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
Oh and that latest offering from Yamaha. :notsure:    Thanks Yamaha for answering the question that nobody asked. :lostit: :124:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
Clunky  :008: :008: You've probably got a point   :notsure:

100milesaway  :86:  You on commission? Seriously though, thanks for your considered opinion.

allergic