Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My bike tells me fibs ....  (Read 419 times)

Offline Victor_meldrew

• Versys Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Victor_meldrew
  • Bike: 2017 650
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
My bike tells me fibs ....
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
Afternoon all,
Bought a Versys ( new one - is that a mk3 ?)  this year and love it.   But  my  fuel tank lies to me !! The swine ...
If I brim the tank ( which is either  19 litres or  21 litres depending if you believe the  Kawasaki dealer or magazine road tests ... ) I can  happily  trundle away up hill and down  dale and return about  65 mpg.
But  my  fuel gauge / range left readout tells me that I am  about to run out,  last bar flashing etc etc at about  160 miles .   So I stop and juice up ,  but  then find I can only get about 13 - 14 litres in the tank before its brimmed again !

So actually ,  I  stil have 6 - 7  litres left - enough for another  100 miles I  reckon ... but I have never been  brave enough to try that far on a flashing  fuel gauge ...

Has anyone else found the same thing as me ...?

Offline kwacky

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Brum
Re: My bike tells me fibs ....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Most I've got into my tank is 17l and that's after riding 40 miles with the fuel gauge flashing. 

There's no way these are a 21 l tank. 

I use more fuel than you, my average is 58mpg.  On average I tend to fill up every 210 miles and I get about 16l in. 

The indicator does come on early.  I've had time where it's flashed then thought about it and stopped. 

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
I think that they are about a 21L tank, (just shy iirc) but the gauges are just next to useless. Reset the trip and start looking for fuel after about 200 miles.

The light flashes very early indeed, best to just ignore it - it stops providing a 'Range' when you need it most too, which is a helpful attribute lol.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:10:29 PM by 78 Bravo »

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:32:22 PM »
I have a mk1 (the bestest one!) With a 19ltr tank I have brimmed it with 20.8ltrs more than once because I'm brave*

*stooopid isn't!  :5:

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
How did you manage that? Drill holes either side of the filler cap to expel the air??!  :028: :028:

Offline kwacky

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Brum
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]

The light flashes very early indeed, best to just ignore it - it stops providing a 'Range' when you need it most too, which is a helpful attribute lol.

I thought that.  It's almost asking you how brave you feel.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:21:32 PM by kwacky »

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »
 :008: :008: :008:

It doesn't help the nerves when you're in the back and beyond and you just know there's not a petrol station for miles. How long ago did the light start flashing, you ask yourself. And what's my personal best for mileage? Then you think, well I know at least one guy on the forum who gets 100mpg from his, so I should be okay... etc etc.

So I fill up every 200 ish miles (most has been 230 I think). I never get that much in it. I want to empty it just for a test, but, well, I'm too lazy to do that.

Offline luccasvr

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »
Hi guys, the owners manual says the fuel level warning indicator blink when approximately 5.6 litres of usable fuel remains in the tank.

I got my Versys couple of weeks ago and that bothers me too as I saw the flashing and ran to the petrol station only to find I needed 15L to fill the tank and I was sure everywhere said the tank had a 21L capacity.

As said above, I now just reset the trip A counter and look for fuel just before the 200 miles mark.

Online Boggs

• Versys God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • City / Town: Co Durham
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:12 PM »
The trip counter is the way to go,ive had 256 miles out of my Mk3 before,wasn't intentional though,just no bloody fuel available on my route at the time.

:031:

Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-KAWASAKI VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »
It's always worth one journey with a gallon can bungeed to the back (with petrol in it of course).
More tea, no biscuits

allergic