Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Mk3 Vertical Headlight Adjustment  (Read 281 times)

Offline bill-e

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2015
  • City / Town: Tooting Broadway
Mk3 Vertical Headlight Adjustment
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm at a bit of a loose end with my new headlights. I've installed 4000 Lumen H7 HIDs. They are pretty awesome compared to the old OEMs.

Problem is I can't adjust them down. This wasn't too much of an issue with the old OEMs, I got an odd flash or mirror adjustment in the car ahead of me. However, now it's a much brighter light and while being seen is important to me I don't feel good about pissing off every other road user.

I've turned the adjustment nut thing clockwise 4 or 5 hundred times. It dropped a teeny tiny bit initially but it's still remains at boob height.

Is there a limit to the adjustment? Wouldn't the nut stop turning if I had hit that limit?

any other suggestions?

Would lowering the front forks be a crazy Idea?

Cheers

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
Re: Mk3 Vertical Headlight Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
Looking at the fiche for your model i can't see a way of moving the lamp-aim except modifying the mounting-frame  :006:

The adjusters should give plenty of movement, did you try going both ways?

I'd fetch the lamps out again and check it's all working as it should.

Never adjusted far enough myself (MkII only) to see if there's a limit though i'd expect to notice one.

Bringing the forks up through the yokes would  be ok if really necessary, steering will quicken up slightly unless you match it with losing a bit of height at the back too.

If you can stand losing the bit of clearance then no harm.

Someone with a MkIII will be more help  :002:
More tea, no biscuits

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: A Superior Mk1 V
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
This following article is taken from the Daniel Stern Lighting website and can be found at.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Thinking of converting to HID  :notsure: and why you should not  :138:

So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your vehicle. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb. STOP! Put away that credit card.

An HID kit consists of HID ballasts and bulbs for "retrofitting" into a halogen headlamp. Often, these products are advertised using the name of a reputable lighting company ("Real Philips kit! Real Osram kit! Real Hella kit!") to try to give the potential buyer the illusion of legitimacy. Fact: While some of the components in these kits are sometimes manufactured by the companies mentioned, the components aren't being put to their designed or intended use. Reputable companies like Philips, Osram, Hella, etc. never endorse this kind of "retrofit" usage of their products.

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective (not to mention legal) beam pattern.
How come  :question:
Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark.

An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

This diagram shows the very different characteristics of the filament vs. the arc:

When designing the optics (lens and/or reflector) for a lamp, the characteristics of the light source are the driving factor around which everything else must be engineered. If you go and change the light source, you've done the equivalent of putting on somebody else's eyeglasses: You can probably make them fit on your face OK, but you won't see properly.

Makes interesting reading  :028:

So in summary what you have now is a blurry beam pattern from the HID arc fitted to a reflector that was ONLY designed for the tightly wound Halogen filiment.   :138:
So, unless you drop the low beam down greatly you will always be blinding people  :157:

The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlampóthat is lens, reflector, bulb...the whole systemówith optics designed for HID usage.

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:24:46 PM by TowerMan »

National Versys Meet - 18th to 20th May 2018
Location - Forest of Dean / Ross-on-Wye  -  Details HERE  :028:
:biker3:

Offline bill-e

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Looking at the beam, it seems to have the same shape and form as the OEM bulbs. There are one or two random beams coming out of the thing that definitely aren't by design. But nothing too crazyIt's just a lot brighter! An I'm a heavy rider so it's probably not ideal for other road users. I really don't fancy rolling back these changes as it's such a hassle getting the headlights out of the machine.  The more I take off and on the fairings the more the components seem to feel worn down.

Wouldn't be an issue if I could get the darn things pointed down a bit. Think I'll know how much of an annoyance tonight on my way home.

Will try turning the screw all the back the other way. It's just such and awkward place to get to. I break down in a sweat after about 5 mins...

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:10 PM »
Don't know how the Mk3 lights are fitted , the Mk1&2 had mounting bolts that you could get a washer bewteen the light and subframe to create a tilt down .
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline bill-e

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
I'm getting the odd flash and squint from other road users but it's not much worse that before with the stock bulbs.

Once I get some time I'll strip it down again and see if something's stuck or causing the adjustment not to go down. There's a tiny bit of wriggle room on the bolts so might be able to get a couple of degrees lower...