Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Using the topbox  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Using the topbox
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:48 PM »
I've had those Givi topcases with a lot more than the nominal 5kg they are rated for and never had a carrier plate break on me, even when off-roading.

The Versys pic from Mexico above was on a 2 week trip, the topcase had my laptop (probably 2-2.5 kg by itself), clothes for about a week, toiletries, one pair of shoes, chain lube, etc. etc.  Over 10 kg if I had to guess.  No issues.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Woody1966!

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 GT
  • City / Town: BoT
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
I've had those Givi topcases with a lot more than the nominal 5kg they are rated for and never had a carrier plate break on me, even when off-roading.

The Versys pic from Mexico above was on a 2 week trip, the topcase had my laptop (probably 2-2.5 kg by itself), clothes for about a week, toiletries, one pair of shoes, chain lube, etc. etc.  Over 10 kg if I had to guess.  No issues.

Gustavo

Cheers Gustavo

:031:

Offline Wavy Davy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 gt
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Had my panniers on for about 2 weeks before taking them off and just using the box, the instructions on the box say do not use above 80mph, panniers made it a pain to clean.
Don't worry be happy!

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:13 PM »
In my racing days I used to take them off before I went on the track.   :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
 :biker1:

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]
In my racing days I used to take them off before I went on the track.   :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Oh you... :) :)

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]

Down to the leather, were you?

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline bgp

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black 07 Versys
  • City / Town: Zagreb
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Hats off to you Whiskeydave.  :020:
Bikes: Original 2007 Versys and 2003 ZRX1200S

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Newark, Delaware
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Like on most of my prior bikes, I like to run a 3-case setup all the time. I keep the top case as light as possible; it's primarily used for storing my helmet when parked, hauling a backpack or messenger bag on commutes, and storing extra gloves, layers, etc. while on tour.  I keep the heavier "bike stuff" (tools, straps, tire kit/pump, 1st aid kit, etc.) in the panniers.  For one-up touring, I prefer to pack my clothes and other "rider stuff" in a waterproof duffel strapped to the pillion seat, which allows quick in/out of hotels without having to mess with the cases. Everyone seems to develop their own method and madness for what works best.  Also, I almost never lane-split (oops, filter) as it's either expressly unlawful or not condoned almost everywhere in the USA, so the extra width of panniers isn't much of an issue.

2015 Versys 650 ABS

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:10 PM »
I originally wanted a Mk2 with panniers and top box, until finding out the stock ones can't be put on together.  I wanted to put luggage in the panniers and leave helmet/gloves in the top box while at work. 

Given the choice of one or the other, I went for a Mk2 with panniers.  Then I bought a tank bag from somebody here and if that isn't enough, the rest goes into a rucksack.

I'm lucky to travel somewhere where I can unclip and store the panniers when I arrive.  Then pack when I leave and clip on in seconds.  That's my reason.
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guitar_Slinger [+]
I originally wanted a Mk2 with panniers and top box, until finding out the stock ones can't be put on together.  I wanted to put luggage in the panniers and leave helmet/gloves in the top box while at work. 
GS

It can be done on the Mk2, if you use the the Palmer products adaptor bracket.  :028: :028:

If you want to run with the side cases and / or the top box or both, then the Palmer product adds a rack to the OEM side case setup, so you can add any topbox you like  :028:

Instructions on how to fit to the Mk2 V are HERE

Hope this helps  :notsure:  :008:

Richard  :001:

Details HERE  :123A: