Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Using the topbox  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
Re: Using the topbox
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip.   That looks good and I remember reading a thread on here about top boxes/panniers together when shopping for my bike.

I seem to remember there was always a solution, so long as some mod was made and this includes the Palmer one.

Comes with stainless steel hardware to mount onto the special side plates which mount onto the side handles - the plastic trims need to be removed or modified

Thanks for the tip and I'll think of giving it a go with the trims off.  :152:
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2018, 02:01 PM by Guitar_Slinger »
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.

Offline Rob_Wakey

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 ABS
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Tend to use a Givi tank lock bag for day to day stuff and day ride outs. Give V47 topbox if I commute to take work bag, sarnies etc.

OE panniers only for a short holiday/tour and panniers and top box for longer/two up tours, and in both instances Give tank bag to hold wallet, phone, camera, glasses etc.

As I mentioned in a thread a while ago, for an example, my son and I did the motogp at Le Mans last year, all three pieces of hard luggage full up, combined weight of me and him and luggage around 230kg. At up to sensible cruising speeds around 80mph no problems, top speed dropped to an indicated 105, (fo r the interests of science).

I think it is all a matter of what is your preference and how you use the bike, all the hard luggage is easily removed and stored in the garage when not in use and takes a couple of minutes to remove/add so is hardly a chore.

Oh and in a ride of two hours in heavy rain last September in the Ardennes, the OE panniers/topbox were watertight.
2016 White Versys with OEM panniers, Givi V47 top box, Givi Tanklock bag, aux lights, hand guards.

Offline Mac-Kwack

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650, 2014
  • City / Town: Bristol&Devon
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Had panniers but I've never had a Topbox until I had the V2 and now I find it's almost indispensable. It's so handy for everything - the bottom half I have compartmentalised  to carry a few tools,satnav when not in use, torch, puncture kit, first aid kit, spare bulbs etc it's all there just in case . The top half ( lid ) I have stuck hooks around the inside and stretched a small cargo net to form more storage, this carry's spare clutch cable, road map, cap, spare gloves, It's only a small top box but with all that in there, there is still enough room for a bag full of shopping. I had never realised how useful they could be. Camping gear and stuff goes on the rear seat no need for panniers any more.
Experience the pain to appreciate the pleasure

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mac-Kwack [+]
Had panniers but I've never had a Topbox until I had the V2 and now I find it's almost indispensable. It's so handy for everything - the bottom half I have compartmentalised  to carry a few tools,satnav when not in use, torch, puncture kit, first aid kit, spare bulbs etc it's all there just in case . The top half ( lid ) I have stuck hooks around the inside and stretched a small cargo net to form more storage, this carry's spare clutch cable, road map, cap, spare gloves.

I quite like this idea. I've velcro'd a pouch in the lid of mine for cable / charger and some earplugs, but may take it one step further and compartmentalise the bottom like you suggest. What did you do / how? (Any pics?)

Offline Mac-Kwack

• Versys Pro
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:21 PM »
For the lid I bought a pack of adhesive plastic hooks from Wilco"s and spaced them out  about 80mm apart 30mm up from the lid, may have been two packs, a small cargo net from Wemoto about 3 quid, the net turned out to be just the right size when slightly stretched. For the compartments I just used small cardboard boxes of different sizes then reinforced them where needed with Duct tape, I put a layer of that anti slip rubber stuff  on the base just so they don't slide around. I haven't tried photo's but I will but don't hold your breath.

Offline Mac-Kwack

• Versys Pro
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:30 PM »
Here you go: