Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Garage security  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
Garage security
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Hello motorcycle fellows,
   I may be able to get my bike into a lockable garage soon and was wondering if there are any insurance approved ways to make it difficult for the villains. I'm not expecting anyone to divulge their secrets as such but............ If nothing else having it inside a garage has got to be better than parked on the street. :006:
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Garage security
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Is the garage door the only access.
Richard    :001: 

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Yes, it's an 'up and over' type.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Siberman [+]
Yes, it's an 'up and over' type.
Then you want something like this  :028:

www.screwfix.com/p/squire-garage-defender/79478

But make sure that the ground you fix it to is solid otherwise people will bull it straight out  :138:

Richard  :001:
Richard    :001: 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:40 PM »
I used one of those on a garage I rented, it worked ok but then again no one attempted to break into it. They do advertise the fact that there might be something inside thats worth a look though. I concreted mine into the ground and used longer bolts than those supplied.

When I stopped renting I was lucky in that the new tenant bought the lock off me.

However, I've since seen vids where people have smacked them with a sledgehammer and it's game over. Either the bolts lift out of the ground or the top "tube" part comes away from the weld to the upright  :006:

I now have an internal shutter inside the garage, similar to what shops have when they close up at night. I picked it up second hand off ebay and adapted it. Basically a second line of defence which to be honest is stronger than the main garage door.

I'm sure a determined thief could get in but what you is buy as much time as possible. Key thing to remember with any security is that it is all dependent on the weakest component. Also, a thief won't give a monkeys if he bends the door or breaks anything.

Offline wwhite139

• Versys Pro
  • 40 Ballpoint pens...
  • Bike: White 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I'm in no way affiliated to this company, came across their website on a search, and all I can say is Wow !!!! Never knew how many different security devices there were available to secure a motorcycle to the ground !!!

http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: MK2 versys 650
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Hi wwhite 139

That's a good link, been looking for some garage security, hoping to move to north Wales this year, watch out the English are coming!

Regards
Oldleathers

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 650 V-Strom
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:06 PM »
I use a garage door defender and then a ground anchor inside the garage (both from the above link) to secure the bike. To be honest, most thieves breaking in to a garage will be opportunistic so will go for the easy targets, i.e. minimal security. Even if they break in  with the defender they're likely to take things not bolted down, rather than tackle a second line of security.

Obviously if it's a professional burglar who targets you they might have the tools to go through any type of security, but then the Versys etc probably wouldn't be their target vehicle.

Just remember, anything is better than nothing.

Offline mike5100

• Versys God
  • Durham
  • Bike: NC750X 2016
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:46 AM »
I heard they come in through the roof - the clear plastic corrugated roof light is the obvious point. If your garage door has a simple sliding catch inside as most do, then itís a simple matter to then open the door. Unless you have one of those defenders on the outside preventing it. I like the idea of the inner security grill as it doesnít advertise anything from the outside.
By the way if you tell the insurance company you have a ground anchor and forget to use it one night and itís nicked they will (rightly) argue your claim. If you say you donít have a ground anchor it doesnít seem to increase the premium.
Mike

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:13 AM »
So I wanted something a bit less obvious than a defender and opted for these:

https://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/security-c67/garage-security-c72/asec-garage-door-bolt-locks-for-extra-security-one-pair-operated-on-same-key-p147

Mine are on the bottom spaced at 1/3rd width. You could place them along the side which receives the bolt into the frame, which I think is preferable. The only reason I didn't is for me, that would receive into a thermalite block (which is just crumbly cheese).

Pros:
a) they're cheap b) they're not obvious c) they're easy to fit d) they're easy to use - no parts to move just one key e) you can lock and unlock from both sides of the door (not useful for you but maybe someone else)

Cons:
a) they attach to the garage door which is flimsy and an obvious weak point. b) if there's a gap between the lock and the receiving part then not much bolt is received into the fixing, and not much deviation is required to release it

I haven't declared it to insurers just incase I forget or they're not approved but I hope that, if an opportunist does try, they may give up when they realise it's more than just an up and over catch to defeat. Of course, if someone is determined then nothing is going to stop them. But,you also don't want to be the easiest target. So I go to fairly great lengths to keep the bike hidden from the main road view when I leave/return/clean etc (but I don't know how successful I have been). (And I have a notice on the door saying that the guy at number 137 down the road has an MV Augusta and no ground anchor... )