Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Garage security  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
Re: Garage security
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]

(And I have a notice on the door saying that the guy at number 137 down the road has an MV Augusta and no ground anchor... )

:008:

PS Get a Goose (not a Suzuki)  :002:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline Matthewleehood123

• Versys Pro
  • “Never tell me the odds!”
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Naaaarwich
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I don't really even lock my V up... It is in a locked garage with a disk lock on, which is all my insurance requires. if it gets stolen, I get a new bike... whats the issue?

Offline mike5100

• Versys God
  • Durham
  • Bike: NC750X 2016
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matthewleehood123 [+]
I don't really even lock my V up... It is in a locked garage with a disk lock on, which is all my insurance requires. if it gets stolen, I get a new bike... whats the issue?
increased premiums for one.  inconvenience for another.  hassle if they get your bike back but its damaged.
mike

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Leave yer front or back door unlocked too Matthew, you can always get new telly etc  :015:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline Matthewleehood123

• Versys Pro
  • “Never tell me the odds!”
  • City / Town: Naaaarwich
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:03 PM »
The garage is locked as is my bike and my front door.... And yes if my house was burgled and my TV stolen, I would get a new one. That is what insurance is for!

Offline kwacky

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Brum
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:56 PM »
+1 PJB Security.  I've used them in the past.  Most recently I bought  a 19mm chain and a squire lock.  Not cheap but less than my policy excess.  Both bikes are chained up to each other as well as having their own security. 

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matthewleehood123 [+]
The garage is locked as is my bike and my front door.... And yes if my house was burgled and my TV stolen, I would get a new one. That is what insurance is for!

...and the second time?  :016:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: Back in business
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:33 PM »
All the security you can get makes sense, though if someone is determined, all you do is make it a bit harder for them.
Just having it in a locked garage full-stop reduces premiums.
A lot depends on where you live. Premiums vary more on postcode than just about anything else as far as I can tell  :027: You can have the bike parked outside in one place and insurance can be cheaper than having it in a garage in another place. I know this from experience. When I moved house, my premiums dropped dramatically even though I had it in a garage at the old house and parked it outside for several months at the new house. Moved from the suburb of a city to a small village.
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 650 V-Strom
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]
(And I have a notice on the door saying that the guy at number 137 down the road has an MV Augusta and no ground anchor... )

Ha ha 78 Bravo, I'll put one of those notes on mine.

*Originally Posted by mike5100 [+]
By the way if you tell the insurance company you have a ground anchor and forget to use it one night and it’s nicked they will (rightly) argue your claim. If you say you don’t have a ground anchor it doesn’t seem to increase the premium.
Mike

And Mike, you make an excellent point on insurance and ground anchors. I haven't said to my insurance I use one, nor have I told them I use a disc lock when out and about even though I do. It turned out that it only saves me £10 on my insurance and if I ever forgot to use either of them the insurance company could refuse to pay out (including a petrol stations).

And don't forget to use your steering lock. Someone attempted to steal my mates 125cc, and the insurance company tried to refuse to pay out as they said the steering lock wasn't on at the time of the attempted theft. My mate had a ground anchor & lock which prevented the theft, and pointed out that the steering lock wasn't on as he undid it when their van came to collect the bike...
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 06:08 PM by UK_Vstrom650 »

Offline Dr Bones

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2008 Versys
  • City / Town: Loughborough
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Park your car right up against the garage door at night, adds another inconvience for a thief.