Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Garage security  (Read 2054 times)

Offline stevemersey

• Versys Mega God
Re: Garage security
« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by mike5100 [+]
That's an interesting idea about the roller shutter rear door.  It's probably the weak point for me.  Do you know the make Steve?  I was also considering the plastic rooflights and thinking that some metal bars bolted to the metals rafters in that area might give the yobs pause for thought.
Mike

Mike,
I just went to a local roller shutter firm, and I think it was about 800 for a single car width shutter. It rolls up inside with no ugly externals and could be made in a choice of colours. A good investemt I think.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Last house I had the locks that 78 bravo posted.
This house gone for electronic mag locks, connected to a key/fob pad. Walk up, blip, garage opens
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Touch-Keypad-RFID-Door-Access-Control-Kit-180kg-Magnetic-Lock-2Remote-Controls/401478381690?epid=1642185753&hash=item5d79f9f07a:g:j9MAAOSw9V1aX6ML
I added another lock so I have one either side
Neighbours all think it self arms the alarms. :-)
Its excellent as I am in and out all weekend, no faffing with keys, keep a card in my pocket and I can never forget to lock the garage.

I have also seen small scaffold poles used as shoot bolts on the outside of Garage doors, fugly but effective if the door has strengthening.

If you have internal access to the garage then a couple of long bolts down into the concrete is an added very cheap bonus,Going on holiday, 6 8inch screws into the frame, unhook all the wires to the catches

The other problem I have is if they get in the garage it wouldn't matter what I bolted the bike to , there are enough tools in there  to undo anything.

My next trick is a Feck off Klaxon on a small delay  something like this. We have them at work and totally deafening in a small area, just need to find a cheaper version
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Masterblaster-127dB-VeryLoud-Alarm-Siren-SLM-0001-Klaxon-Master-Blaster-Sounder/162446741252?epid=7010458801&hash=item25d2948f04:g:HHwAAOSwdGFY2SmK

may be the cheapo version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Loud-Voice-Sound-Flash-Siren-Alarm-System-for-Home-Burglar-Security/302255002203?hash=item465fcd525b:g:44UAAOSw2gxYy131

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline mac one

• Versys Master
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:15 PM »
Had a roller shutter 25 years and it does a good job but when it's windy it let's in a good draft, because of that it's not as warm as having an up and over door and the older i get the heavier it gets.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2018, 10:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by stevemersey [+]
Overall US crime is about half the UK's.

That most likely has to do with how crimes are reported in each country. It is not an easy thing to compare like with like in these cases, even within a country, but it is clearly not half in real terms. (It is also helpful to remember that all 'crime' isn't equal - i'd rather be robbed a dozen times than murdered twice - and the homicide rate in the US is an order of magnitude greater than in the UK.)

Offline stevemersey

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]
That most likely has to do with how crimes are reported in each country. It is not an easy thing to compare like with like in these cases, even within a country, but it is clearly not half in real terms. (It is also helpful to remember that all 'crime' isn't equal - i'd rather be robbed a dozen times than murdered twice - and the homicide rate in the US is an order of magnitude greater than in the UK.)

I was trying to be positive and not mention guns and murder. :002: Yes, a bike going missing I can live with.....just.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Ah, got ya, sorry. I'll get back in my hole  :008:

Offline anthony1664

• Versys God
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: On Here
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2018, 03:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Last house I had the locks that 78 bravo posted.
This house gone for electronic mag locks, connected to a key/fob pad. Walk up, blip, garage opens
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Touch-Keypad-RFID-Door-Access-Control-Kit-180kg-Magnetic-Lock-2Remote-Controls/401478381690?epid=1642185753&hash=item5d79f9f07a:g:j9MAAOSw9V1aX6ML
I added another lock so I have one either side
Neighbours all think it self arms the alarms. :-)
Its excellent as I am in and out all weekend, no faffing with keys, keep a card in my pocket and I can never forget to lock the garage.

I have also seen small scaffold poles used as shoot bolts on the outside of Garage doors, fugly but effective if the door has strengthening.

If you have internal access to the garage then a couple of long bolts down into the concrete is an added very cheap bonus,Going on holiday, 6 8inch screws into the frame, unhook all the wires to the catches

The other problem I have is if they get in the garage it wouldn't matter what I bolted the bike to , there are enough tools in there  to undo anything.

My next trick is a Feck off Klaxon on a small delay  something like this. We have them at work and totally deafening in a small area, just need to find a cheaper version
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Masterblaster-127dB-VeryLoud-Alarm-Siren-SLM-0001-Klaxon-Master-Blaster-Sounder/162446741252?epid=7010458801&hash=item25d2948f04:g:HHwAAOSwdGFY2SmK

may be the cheapo version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Loud-Voice-Sound-Flash-Siren-Alarm-System-for-Home-Burglar-Security/302255002203?hash=item465fcd525b:g:44UAAOSw2gxYy131

i made my own stand a lone alarm, simple control box hidden in the roof void, annoying internal sound bomb and loud external siren it would be a rather annoying ( like me)  device whilst hunting for my angle grinder to cut my Alamax chain and hopefully wake me from my pit to discus the matter with said scrotes ... of course there is the chance it would occur when  i am not in but hopefully my CCTV may aid my search of said scrote to carry out said discussions..... but at the end of the day all you can do is take reasonable precautions, hope its sufficient then may have to rely on insurance to replace the stolen things!
My real names Dave

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2018, 05:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by 78 Bravo [+]

I don't know the methodology for those statistics, but it doesn't seem that out of step to me.  Petty crime is almost nonexistent here.  Our houses have flimsy doors and huge windows with no protection and very few people have the houses broken into.  And, as I mentioned many times before, I do own a bike lock (I bought it for trips in Europe  :008:) but I really couldn't tell you where it is right now, as I haven't used it in years.  I travel around the States (and Mexico  :5:) with no bike lock.  I leave the tank bag attached to the bike at all stops that aren't overnight ones with its entire contents in it. 

That isn't to say that there isn't that sort of crime here, but it's rare.  OTOH, as you pointed out correctly, we are very good at killing people.  Best in the world.  I read an article that cited statistics that the US is 3rd in the Americas in gun violence, right after El Salvador and Guatemala (which are borderline failed states  :33:).  Yes, ahead of Mexico too...   :lostit: 

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
I don't know the methodology for those statistics, but it doesn't seem that out of step to me.  Petty crime is almost nonexistent here.  Our houses have flimsy doors and huge windows with no protection and very few people have the houses broken into.  And, as I mentioned many times before, I do own a bike lock (I bought it for trips in Europe  :008:) but I really couldn't tell you where it is right now, as I haven't used it in years.  I travel around the States (and Mexico  :5:) with no bike lock.  I leave the tank bag attached to the bike at all stops that aren't overnight ones with its entire contents in it. 

That isn't to say that there isn't that sort of crime here, but it's rare.  OTOH, as you pointed out correctly, we are very good at killing people.  Best in the world.  I read an article that cited statistics that the US is 3rd in the Americas in gun violence, right after El Salvador and Guatemala (which are borderline failed states  :33:).  Yes, ahead of Mexico too...   :lostit: 

Gustavo

Very sad statistics. :012:
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Siberman [+]
Very sad statistics. :012:
Don't worry about it. Once Mr Trump gives all the teachers guns, it will be all sorted.  :006: