Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: paddock stands  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Tonyt4

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
paddock stands
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Hi
There have been a number of posts on this in the past but nothing looked very recent.
I wanted a stand for my bike.  I did not fancy a paddock stand much, looks like you either need a fair amount of upper body strength or have the knack to use one by yourself.  I don't have either.  The best option looks like an Abbastand with ER6 adaptors and a bit of wood.  Have not seen anything else that looks easy to use?  There was a "bike-jack" little gadget someone was trying to develop a little while a go but he seems to have had to give up.
I only really need it to oil the chain and make cleaning a bit easier.
cheers

Tony

Offline scorpio58

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Wokingham
Re: paddock stands
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Don't be put off by the idea of a paddock stand, they really aren't awkward/difficult/frightening to use.

When I got mine (and some bobbins) I was a bit apprehensive about the first lift. So, knowing that I needed to get the bike to near vertical before rolling in the paddock stand I went and found a brick to rest the side stand on.

Hmmmm, that isn't going to work.

Surprisingly the side stand only needs to be raised about an inch or so.

This also explains why own view of my radical lean angles whilst cornering is often derided by my riding companions!

So, a relatively thin piece of wood later - roll in the paddock stand left hand bobbin all snug, right hand bobbin about 1/4 inch off, hand on rear of saddle, other hand on paddock stand, press down and follow the bike as it shifts backward onto the stand.

Clean bike, clean/lube chain etc.

Kick side stand out, hand/forearm on back of saddle, gently raise paddock stand keeping some sideways pressure on the saddle on side stand side and it just sits back down.

High five yourself, go and have beer and realise it really is not difficult.

Offline Dr Bones

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2008 Versys
  • City / Town: Loughborough
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tonyt4 [+]
I did not fancy a paddock stand much, looks like you either need a fair amount of upper body strength or have the knack to use one by yourself.

I'm 5'7" and 9.5st and I don't even think twice about using my paddock stand. As previously stated put a lump of wood under the side stand, get the paddock stand hooked onto the bobbins and the bike lifts on to the stand effortlessly, taking it off the stand is just as easy. Find a couple of people to stand either side of the bike the first few times you do it to get your confidence.

:028:

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:16 PM »
As Dr Bones said, using a paddock stand is trivial once you figure it out.  I don't even bother with a block of wood under the sidestand.  But, if you mainly want it for chain maintenance, why not get a centerstand?  Then it goes with you when you travel and need to oil the chain, change oil, etc.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Ibraz

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 MK1
  • City / Town: Québec
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
As Dr Bones said, using a paddock stand is trivial once you figure it out.  I don't even bother with a block of wood under the sidestand.  But, if you mainly want it for chain maintenance, why not get a centerstand?  Then it goes with you when you travel and need to oil the chain, change oil, etc.

Gustavo

Yup! And last time I checked the center stand isn’t really more expensive than a good paddock stand + bobbins.

Offline kwacky

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Brum
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:06 AM »
My main issue with a paddock stand is on the MK3 the rear reflector is quite low down from the reg plate, which means that the paddock stand handle can get caught up on the reflector. 

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Newark, Delaware
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by kwacky [+]
My main issue with a paddock stand is on the MK3 the rear reflector is quite low down from the reg plate, which means that the paddock stand handle can get caught up on the reflector.

Yup. I returned the Pit Bull stand that was specified for my MK3 because it didn't even come close to clearing the fender.  Then Pit Bull suggested their Hyabusa stand, which also didn't quite clear the fender (see below), but did work if I first rolled the tire onto a 3/4" piece of wood.  I'm putting a center stand on soon, though.

2015 Versys 650 ABS

Offline Craigasaki

• Versys Master
  • Topbox and Heated-Grips allergy
  • Bike: Versys 650 DAF
  • City / Town: Cean Romhar
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ibraz [+]
Yup! And last time I checked the center stand isn’t really more expensive than a good paddock stand + bobbins.

Ooh but all that extra weight   :002:
More tea, no biscuits

Offline mac one

• Versys Master
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Got mine from Aldi a few years ago and it lifts the swing arm,  i don't have bobbins . All good .

Offline Tonyt4

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:30 PM »
thanks, going for the paddock stand, seems to be a lot cheaper, and will not challenge my mechanical skills.  But just hoping it will clear the rear number plate, as I did not notice that comment until after I had bought a stand.

Tony