Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fitted a 12v aux socket to my 2016 versys today  (Read 990 times)

Offline Mikey B

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea
Fitted a 12v aux socket to my 2016 versys today
« on: Feb 24, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Fitted a 12V aux socket to my 2016 Versys today. The bike is already prewired, so its basically plug n play. Bought all the parts off Amazon for less than 20.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QVJC9QC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A7SPPJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Relay holder behind dashboard

12v Bullet connectors

Relay Installed

Blanking plate to be removed. (Bit fiddly, dropped my screw driver due to limited space)

!2v Aux socket on dash

Also found this video helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=ETZsq3AILr4

Offline sunblock

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 - '17
  • City / Town: Athens
Re: Fitted a 12v aux socket to my 2016 versys today
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Oh noes, you didn't use an official Kawasaki relay. Bad things will happen, the apocalypse is upon us  :001:

Online jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Nice but what escapes me is what will people do with these 12V sockets. You'll need an USB charger for everything I can imagine so why not install an USB port instead? A car charger in that 12V socket is not waterproof, I imagine it is easier to put a piece of duct tape on the connected USB cable when I need to ride in a serious downpour and charge my navigating device at the same time.

Offline Davo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: CB500F Versys650
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2019, 11:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
Nice but what escapes me is what will people do with these 12V sockets. You'll need an USB charger for everything I can imagine so why not install an USB port instead? A car charger in that 12V socket is not waterproof, I imagine it is easier to put a piece of duct tape on the connected USB cable when I need to ride in a serious downpour and charge my navigating device at the same time.

The good thing about a 12v socket is you can use it for other things.

I use mine for my air bed pump and if my USB adaptor (cigarette lighter type) fails I have a spare so I don't get stuck with no power for my phone/sat nav.

A mate of mine had a USB port wired directly to his bike, it got wet and that was the end of that, with a 12v it's just a simple socket.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2019, 11:51 PM by Davo »

Online jkristjan

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2019, 06:16 AM »
Indeed, that is true. I just had the same thing happen to me. I rode from Tallinn to Croatia to Italy to Austria to Tallinn during the past 2 weeks (need to make another post about that) and my USB outlet failed in the Slovenian mountains. I went to a gas station, bought s car charger and long wire and built myself a makeshift charger directly from the battery.

Anyway, my idea was that the final solution to this should be a real quality IP-rated USB socket, mine was a $3 from AliExpress and failed due to heat and/or vibration. Having a backup 12V would have indeed saved me a few $ and a hour of time.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2019, 06:17 AM by jkristjan »