Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Bike won't start  (Read 1838 times)

Online Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
Re: Bike won't start
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2018, 04:59 PM »
My garage is unheated, apart from deep freeze discharge heat. Temp follows outside temps, so this Winter down to -11C. It is remarkably dry. Never any signs of damp in the 34 years I have been here.
Ted

Offline THE RAT

• Versys Pro
  • THE RAT ORKNEY ISLES SCOTLAND
« Reply #41 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Not posted  yet but I have had simler problems this year with  the fuel  cap  glad I've sorted it before it got it's mot last Saturday  :002:

Offline markymark11

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 1K 2016
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #42 on: Mar 28, 2018, 08:33 AM »
it could just be as simple as the old fuel in the tank has gone off over winter. I have had that on 2 bikes before. Just drain the tank and fill with new - can't hurt either way.
You can't teach a pig to sing...it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig !

Online Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #43 on: Mar 28, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Hi Ratty.
How's things?
Ted.

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #44 on: Mar 28, 2018, 10:21 AM »
I'm not singling your post out here, Mark, as you're not the only one to discuss the potential issues with the stability of gasoline.

*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
it could just be as simple as the old fuel in the tank has gone off over winter. I have had that on 2 bikes before. Just drain the tank and fill with new - can't hurt either way.

This is very unlikely to be the case unless either:
1) water got in
2) a lot of vapour got out (poor seal and major diurnal temperature variation - and a proportionally large loss of the light ends)
(and both the above are compounded by smaller liquid volumes / increased vapour space in the tank)

The stability of gasoline is sufficient so that a single winter of weathering in all likelihood won't result in a major change in fuel quality. The temperature range Rob descibes, if repeated, may account for a slight loss of light ends, but the rate decreases with time as the RVP decreased commesurate with the loss of light ends.

Regardless, and again as Rob alludes, water ingress is the primary concern, as opposed to the slight increase in IBP. At worst, the bike will not run smoothly on account of the change in fuel quality over one winter, but won't run at all on water  :015: However, I don't have personal experience of using stabilising additives, and have no recommendation to make in this regards.

Online whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #45 on: Mar 28, 2018, 04:55 PM »
I think that's why Stewie drains the tank on his track day bike at the end of the race season.  :notsure:

Offline 78 Bravo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 650 GT
« Reply #46 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05:07 PM »
 :008: :008: Which is a mighty fine idea