Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Spring finally comes to the PNWet  (Read 3457 times)

Offline riggerjim

• Versys God
Re: Spring finally comes to the PNWet
« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2021, 08:03 PM »
Fantastic Gus
Glad you enjoyed it
Jim

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2021, 04:55 AM »
Weather has been fantastic here.  Well, fantastic for riding, not so good for our water levels, but this is a bike forum...   :007:

I went on a ride around St. Helens maybe three weeks ago.  It was the warmest day of the year that far (that record didn't last long, more on that later).  So I was hoping the snow was melting high enough to get to Windy Ridge.

Windy Ridge, is an observation point to the crater of Mt St. Helens for those who never read my (frequent) ride reports to this marvel:

The top used to be pointy, triangular, until May 1980, when it literally blew its top...   :33:

The ride there takes me through Carson, up Wind River Hwy, one of those magical ribbons of asphalt:

The road up to Curly Creek was a good shape, clean, with very little snow/ice on the shouldres.  That had my hopes up that I could make it close to Windy Ridge.

FR-25 was open but just barely...

As I got higher, it became obvious that they opened the road with minimal maintenance.  Lots of debris on the road, in some cases, there was barely one lane of clear pavement to get through that mess:

Not sure if they are waiting for this tree to finish falling and block the road or what:

A few miles up the road from that I ran into snow on the road.  It was in a tricky corner, good thing I came around slow enough to stop, because there was no clear path through it.  I walked it for a while, it seems to go on for miles, so I turned around and went back down the mountain.

Took the long way back, through the ridge that separates Portland from the coast, where you get this great view of Mt Hood:

Good day for a ride, nice and short sub 300 mile day.   :biker1:

https://goo.gl/maps/QFEJeZtAUy6uYLbW9

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #22 on: Jun 07, 2021, 05:56 AM »
It's raining in Seattle today so that should help the water levels.

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #23 on: Jun 07, 2021, 07:22 AM »
Yeah, it rained here too, on and off most of the day.  Not enough to really make a difference on the water levels, the snow pack is what really makes a difference.  Our reservoirs are designed to capture melting snow over a prolonged period in spring and early summer. If it melts too quickly, there isn't enough reservoir capacity to store it all, you have to dump it or risk overflowing the reservoir and that could result in damage, flooding and all manner of "fun" stuff. Happened in California a couple of years ago.

I'll get to today's ride later.

Gustavo

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: 2009 MK1 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #24 on: Jun 08, 2021, 08:42 AM »
What a great collection of rides and I love the way you write em up, especially the broomstick bike.   :37:
Theres just so much open space over there laced with sinuous tarmac, made all the more enticing for being occasionally inaccessible. Even when you can get there it certainly looks like the road less travelled by, with the frontier thrill of hazards and being one of the first to pass through. Looking at your map thats just a spoonfull from a giant jar of adventure honey.   
I can feel something stirring back to life that i thought i had put to rest, wanderlust. Though right now I cant see a way to get the time and money for North America, it reminds me that there are plenty of pocket handkerchief adventures to be had here in Wales, and a few roll mat sized ones in Scotland.
Cheers for the inspiration   :123A:
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2021, 01:53 AM »
Another rainy weekend here in the PNWet.  Back to normal weather basically.  I decided to go east, to try to outrun the rain.

I originally thought I'd go up between Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams, but it was still pretty wet when I got to that turnoff, so I kept going east.  Mind you, I was on the Washington side of the Columbia, and the views do not suck, so it wasn't exactly a terrible change in plans...   :biker1:

Going east on WA-14:

No, still doesn't suck... 

I started going north into the Klickitat valley on WA-141, which follows the White Salmon river.  It's mostly farms and lots of white water rafters/kayakers on the White Salmon river.  I decided to start heading away from the highway, on some minor roads.  These turned to gravel pretty quickly, but were mostly well maintained.

Dead end at a local ranch:

Hard to tell in this picture, but this section was seriously washboarded.  The problem is that you can keep the bike at a speed it floats over the washboards, but it's a little too fast  to stop for any wildlife that suddenly shows up from the brush.  When the visibility was good, I fooled myself to think I could handle it.  Luckily, no critter decided to test if that was true...   :33:

Conboy Lake National WIldlife Refuge:

Got back on the road, made a right turn at what used to be a gravel road going up a mountain, only to discover it's been fully paved.  Must have been in the last 3-4 years.  Good pavement, beautiful curves going up the mountain, so beautiful in fact, that I was too entertained carving it and forgot to take a pic...   :138:

I did remember to stop here and take a few.  Klickitat River from the Klickitat-Appleton rd.

Going down to the Klickitat

Took another new-to-me paved road, going up the mountain from the Klickitat, that too was fantastic.  I mean, it's hard to make straight roads when you have to climb a few hundred meters up the side of a river canyon...   :biker1: :biker1:  It took me on a loop and suddenly, I was back on Klickitat

Then I went back up, to the big metropolis of Appleton:

Not much there, as you can see.

Then I started heading back west, eventually getting back to the Columbia.  This is from a small road that drops in to Rowland Lake.

From there, back to the Portland metro area on WA-14, avoiding the freeway traffic as much as possible.  It all went well until I got to Portland, then the skies opened up and it was coming down like cats and dogs.  Holly cow, I hadn't ridden in a monsoon type deluge like that in a long time.  That's the type of rain you hit in the southwest, not typical in these parts of the world.   :5:   Luckily, there wasn't that much traffic, so it was moving pretty well all the way home. 

Despite the wet ending, not a bad days ride...    :biker1: :biker1: :biker1:

Gustavo

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2021, 05:25 AM »
I forgot to attach the map, didn't I...    :138:

https://goo.gl/maps/pVQ3ifbauETKCYXN7

Gustavo

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2021, 07:18 AM »
 :96:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2021, 10:07 AM »
As ever, a nice ride report with good photos.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #29 on: Today at 03:42 AM »
AMAZING!

great report and fantastic awe inspiring pictures to salivate over  :028:

Keep em coming.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!