Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Chicken Stripes or stripes of discretion  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Tonyt4

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
Re: Chicken Stripes or stripes of discretion
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2018, 07:22 PM »
but what i don't understand is... You are supposed to break-in a new tyre because it is slippery when new.  But if you never get to those edges, aren't they just going to be slippery when you find yourself needing them?

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2018, 09:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tonyt4 [+]
but what i don't understand is... You are supposed to break-in a new tyre because it is slippery when new.  But if you never get to those edges, aren't they just going to be slippery when you find yourself needing them?
Me too, never quite worked that one out myself.

Online whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2018, 09:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]

To add to the debate, I was left for dead by a BMX GS1200 a few years ago and he rode that bike like a magic carpet. Never shifted his body position and with a gob smacking lack of lean he made corner speeds that were jaw dropping.

I think me and my mate Andy followed the same fellow when we were going to the V meet in the peak district.  :008: No movement at all, you would have thought he was in an armchair. But boy could he corner round those tight bends like he was on rails. To be honest ,with the quality of todays tyres a lot of it is all in the mind.  :notsure:

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: Back in business
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2018, 09:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
Me too, never quite worked that one out myself.
Maybe the heat evaporates the residue. Most tyres are pretty sticky on the edge anyway. You’d have to be on a slick surface for it to slip I reckon.
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2018, 10:10 PM »

I think the theory is that you gradually increase the angle of lean, thus taking them off a few mm at a time, leaving most of the contact patch with broken in rubber.

But yes, with modern tires much of it is in the mind for moderate street riders.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
  • actually, versys "oldbie"
  • Bike: 2008 versys
  • City / Town: extreme south tx
« Reply #25 on: Jul 14, 2018, 04:28 AM »
know your tires, whether dual compound, etc...... scrub them in on a dry day so they'll stick when it's wet. always let them warm up before you push them.

Offline kwacky

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Brum
« Reply #26 on: Jul 14, 2018, 11:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tonyt4 [+]

For 99% of new tyres this isn't much of an issue.  The old advice about scrubbing in tyres came about as they used to use a release agent to get the tyre out of the mould.

Now they blow them out with air. 

You still should be cautious when you've got a new set of tyres for the first few miles but to be honest I've found the tyres I'm using are good from the moment they'e been fitted.

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:38 PM »
better cautious at first. compound dependent as well. my shinko 705's on the versys are definitely a harder compound. we have poor roads down here. took a 400 mile trip to laredo. absolutely no sign of wear on the tires. my guzzi's pirelli's, much softer. short ride and they roughened up quickly.

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2018, 12:33 PM »
As Kwacky and Rob, the problem of releasing agent isn't such a big deal anymore, however the surface of the tyre is still quite shiny when new, scrubbing in only refers to taking that shine off, Rob's point about gradually increasing the lean and keeping the majority of the contact on already scrubbed in bits is good, but I'd also agree that the majority should be done by the end of your first trip, you always need to warm your tyres up first anyhow, but by the time I'd done the 30mile trip from tyre fitters to work my recent rear tyre was at least 70% scrubbed.

The other important thing for me is to scrub your tyres on roads you know, I deliberately went A34/ A50 to Lymm (and onto the M56 round some nice long sweeping slip road bends) from my Stoke tyre fitter because part of that route is the way I go to my dealers, etc and part the way I go into work, you should already have an idea how your tyres behave on those roads and where you can safely run onto the edges more.

I was once told by a tyre fitter that it's just as important to be easy on the brakes as the lean angle on new tyres, his place was straight onto a T-junction and apparently a few customers had gone enthusiastically up to the junction, braked hard and got spat straight off lowside  :016:

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
« Reply #29 on: Jul 16, 2018, 04:44 PM »
very good points dilbert, esp brakes. on a new bike, or after changing pads or overhaul, good to be easy on them until they have proved their worth. i also "scrub" tires on familiar roads, and am easier on them at the beginning. the contact patch is all we have.