Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: General NVM Discussion  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
Re: General NVM Discussion
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2019, 12:22 PM »
OOOOOH freebies!!
Put me down to collect at Lunch time on Saturday

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Result nice one. Yep I'll pick mine up on Saturday lunchtime.

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 01:04 PM »
What a pleasure to live in such an appreciative, cycling-oriented place. Over here it's more like, "Throw a leg over one of those things, the onus is on you... expect no quarter from law enforcement... something bad happens, you were asking for it..."

Of course over here, a minority ride carefully and courteously, half the rest ride V-twins piped to produce 120db, the rest rev sportbikes to 18K through debaffled Akro cans. It's little wonder we are generally seen as a menace.

I had to go into Dallas at rush hour yesterday morning, a real clusterf**k (I took the cage), and had a guy on a Japanese muscle bike tailgating me around 6 feet behind at speed, then zoomed around and continued tailgating the cars ahead before discarding them in hard swerving unsignalled lane changes to move on up. I'd have been willing to be late for my appointment to pull off and look the guy in the eye and say, You know, no matter how good you think you are, riding like that is going to kill you, it's only a matter of time, you realize that don't you? I'm sure all I'd have gotten back was a sniff and a glassy stare.

To each his own... here's hoping the trauma ward isn't overcrowded when he makes his call there... and that I don't have to turn off the ignition and wait on a stopped freeway for an hour while the crash crews clean his bike parts off the road with push brooms...  :027:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:22 PM by TallTex »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2019, 01:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by TallTex [+]
What a pleasure to live in such an appreciative, cycling-oriented place. Over here it's more like, "Throw a leg over one of those things, the onus is on you... expect no quarter from law enforcement... something bad happens, you were asking for it..."

Of course over here, a minority ride carefully and courteously, half the rest ride V-twins piped to produce 120db, the rest rev sportbikes to 18K through debaffled Akro cans. It's little wonder we are generally seen as a menace.

I had to go into Dallas at rush hour yesterday morning, a real clusterf**k (I took the cage), and had a guy on a Japanese muscle bike tailgating me around 6 feet behind at speed, then zoomed around and continued tailgating the cars ahead before discarding them in hard swerving unsignalled lane changes to move on up. I'd have been willing to be late for my appointment to pull off and look the guy in the eye and say, You know, no matter how good you think you are, riding like that is going to kill you, it's only a matter of time, you realize that don't you? I'm sure all I'd have gotten back was a sniff and a glassy stare.

To each his own... here's hoping the trauma ward isn't overcrowded when he makes his call there... and that I don't have to turn off the ignition and wait on a stopped freeway for an hour while the crash crews clean his bike parts off the road with push brooms...  :027:
We have our fair share of hooligans over here Tex, some of them may even be on this forum in an earlier life  :015:

But yes, I'm not as well travelled as most when it comes to international riding but I have done plenty of overseas miles across the world in a car and I do think the UK tends to produce slightly more measured, if not well-protected riders. I was in Spain a few weeks ago and the local lads in T shirts, trainers and/or using their phones was remarkable. Maybe it's a weather thing? Hypothesis; The worse the weather the more careful the riders (nobody can say Spain/Italy doesn't produce fantastic GP riders).

Perhaps there's an upside to the Health and Safety culture here? Having said that we also still have a dreadful mortality rate for riders.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2019, 01:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Just had a visit from North Yorkshire 95 alive team. They are responsible for road safety on the counties roads. My good lady contacted them regarding our gathering, Lyn asked if they could come up with some goody bags for our participants.

And they have done a good job of putting goody bags together, they consist of , maps regarding best roads around the region, side stand pucks, ear plugs, lanyards, tyre depth gauges and visor cleaning kits.

A good effort from the 95 alive team.

Lyn will be bringing the kits to Hawes on Friday evening, they will also be available on Saturday from the back of our car in Leyburn at the lunch stop.
Outstanding work Geoff, my cap is doffed.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Sonny, Regarding your comments that would have been aimed at the muppet you encountered yesterday, that you assume, would have resulted in a " sniff and a glassy stare" from the culprit, would in all probability here in the UK, have resulted in you receiving a smack in the teeth.  :22:

Such is the quality of your modern day human being.   :027:.   
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2019, 01:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by jonnster71 [+]
Outstanding work Geoff, my cap is doffed.
  I can take no credit at all.     It was all down to my good lady Lyn.   :020:

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2019, 06:49 AM »
 Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable journey to Hawes.    See you tonight.  Geoff. :152:

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2019, 06:57 AM »
Or tomorrow

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God