Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Service Quote  (Read 2025 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Service Quote
« Reply #30 on: Nov 07, 2018, 12:46 PM »

Tools will very quickly pay for themselves in labour savings. Only you can put a $$ value on your time.

There is also the benefit of knowing exactly what has and what has not been done to the bike when diy.

The catch for some is that you do need a warm well lit shed with enough room to swing the cat.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Tonyt4

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #31 on: Nov 08, 2018, 09:07 PM »
just get the main service done at the dealer now, and use a local garage for most everything else.

Also learnt how to do the oil change - mind you the first time I took the drain plug out the bolt had a very long shaft on it - quickly put it back in and pretended nothing had happened    :whistle:
Tony

Offline dodster

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Clacton on sea
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Tools will very quickly pay for themselves in labour savings. Only you can put a $$ value on your time.

There is also the benefit of knowing exactly what has and what has not been done to the bike when diy.

The catch for some is that you do need a warm well lit shed with enough room to swing the cat.

Rob.

What is involved in a full service exactly?
🇬🇧

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2018, 11:04 PM »

In dealer terms I don't know,  but the service intervals and what are involved are in the owner's manual and shop manual. The more important ones occur at 12 000 km intervals, with valve check and any necessary adjustment every 24 000 km on North American bikes, double that, I believe, on European/U.K. bikes.

My bikes get an oil/filter change at 800 - 1000 km and again at 5000 km when they also get the throttle bodies synchronised. I have yet to have a bike on which the throttle bodies were in sync from factory at the 5k check.

After that they get another oil/filter change at 12 000 km and roughly every 8 000 km thereafter. I stick pretty rigorously to the 24k valve check as there have always been clearances near the low end of spec. at the first check so they get shim changes which gives me a base line for the 48 k check. I check throttle body sync. after every valve check.

Cables, switches and pivots get a cleaning every winter, as do electrical plugs as necessary. All fluids get changed every two years. The swing arm gets removed, cleaned and greased every two years as does the side stand
Other consumables such as brake pads, chain and sprockets get checked a couple of times a year and replaced as necessary.

Air filter gets cleaned annually and spark plugs are replaced every winter.

Oil and filter changes, air filter cleaning, as well as valve checks are the most important items in terms of engine longevity as far as I am concerned.
 Other items could let you down by the side of the road if completely ignored but they aren't so important as far as the longevity of the bike is concerned.

What I do is not gold standard and errs on the side of caution, You will find a range of opinions.
Some people spend more money on their wife than they do on their bike, but that's a personal decision. I look on both as high maintenance lifers. Go figure  :027:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline dodster

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Valve check with the old feeler gauges? How do you balance throttle bodies?? All sounds a bit complicated!
🇬🇧

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Yes, the inspection is with feeler gauges.  The inspection is easy.  If you have to change shims it gets a bit more work, as you have to remove the cams to get to them.

Balancing the TB is trivial, as long as you have the right tool to access those hidden screws that control that circuit.  Well, that and getting to the vacuum ports to hook up the gauges.  If you do it once, you can install extensions on the ports so you can hook up the vacuum gauges easily to check.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline dodster

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Blimey, well maybe Iíll have a go in the new year!
🇬🇧

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1 V & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by dodster [+]
Blimey, well maybe Iíll have a go in the new year!
It is also not worth having a look at the documents on this Uber Secret Resource, that I do not maintain and that no one else should be told about / or even thanked for :015:

Richard  :002:

Details HERE  :123A:

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 07:09 PM »
here you go, its for a Mk 1 but you'll get the idea

https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,6280.msg73336.html#msg73336
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2