Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Ten to One  (Read 691 times)

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Ten to One
« on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:06 PM »
a traitors ride report...… :015:

10 days with temps over 30 degs, 1 day heavy rain, I like that ratio...normally i'd be happy with 4 to 1....

hadn't seen my mate in Switzerland for a good few months so a ride out was in order, fancied Spain but was pleased I didn't given the heat they had down there....( in the 40's, i'll save that ride for cooler temps)

as it was, all days ended up over 30 degs, with variation up to 37 degs, with a high of 38 degs one day in Zurich....quite hot by British standards....38 being the highest ive ridden in...

this was over 11 days so i'll split into 3 parts,   ride out/ down there/ ride back

this was overall route with day rides out while staying in various places, (i'll post maps just for Gustavo)  a fair few diversions off the route while riding too...getting hard to find a new route for me down to Basel, done it so many times, this time i had a quick look into Luxembourg and through Schengen out of curiosity.

https://goo.gl/maps/HbW71VQYCMv

went ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge, overnight in shared cabin (which i luckily had to myself) £179 for me and bike one way, a bit steep, but its peak season i suppose, (ive had the same for £49 off peak)

1 weeks worth in 30lt roll bag....after that keep your distance...

supper on board, steak and ale pie and cake, pretty calm sea so not much chance of feeding the seagulls..

off the ferry next morning it was 28 degs at 09.30, makes a pleasant change to all the winter trips ive done....I booked a hotel in Saarbrucken, 279 mls, nice ride down....as I was riding around Brussels I was having trouble seeing sat nav in bright sun, so I was juggling with it on the move,, after a while I thought....hmmmm, don't recognize these roads, never been through  Waterloo before on previous trips, I thought it maybe new route i was trying...….50 mls later I realised i'd knocked sat nav off planned route....the cursor was following was where I was going.... :138:  :008: ah well, i'd fancied a look to Waterloo sometime anyway, so after a bit  of backtracking and jiggling I was back on track and 65 miles down....headed into Luxembourg for a look, at 33 degs and loads of traffic, quickly made my way back out again...
reached my hotel lateish at 7.30pm

pleasant enough for £50

everyone eating out in Saarbrucken, still 28 degs at 9pm, had some food

nice ice cream

still having comfort issue's on the Tracer, lower back and wrists aching, tried different seat, bars/risers etc, but can't seem to get it right, so I didn't meander much the next day, just a quick look into Saverne then blast down m/way to Basel, as the riding days progressed i acclimatised to the discomfort a bit, but still disapointing, taking about a third of my riding pleasure away
got vingnette at border
riding through the city temps reaced 37 degs...phew

more to come
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2018, 06:44 PM by Wal »

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
Re: Ten to One
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:39 PM »
so, after going to Switzerland about 30 times, i'd still never ridden an Alpine pass, today my pal Masoud was taking me for a run up the Susten pass and around the lakes to Lucerne

https://goo.gl/maps/TZfguT2SVYQ2

at the bottom

near the top

at the top

have to say, near the top I had a bit of vertigo, theres no barriers on most of it, 3 feet to your right is a drop of 1000's of feet, apparently a common accident is where drivers/riders stay so far away from the edge they hit oncoming traffic.....I nearly did, I was bricking it a bit, focus is intense, I was pleased to get down the other side.....

if you get the chance, do this loop, the A2 from Gadmen to Lucerne has to be one of the most spectacular m/ways in the world, i can't do Gustavo type pics on the go, so you'll have to go and do it yourself....

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2018, 08:52 PM »
next day i had a ride to Zurich, nice little loop, temps hit 38 degs as i left, hottest ive ridden in, i was drinking bottle of water/orange every hour

https://goo.gl/maps/MzHGSDA2s9q

each day around 5pm it was so hot, usually around 35 degs, we went for a dip in the river nearby, great way to cool down, sometimes we went in this

other day went on the bike.....atgatt of course.... :015:

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2018, 09:26 PM »
time to leave Basel, headed for 3 days in Dusseldorf

https://goo.gl/maps/TfoMAk1Qhh92

decided to ride up the German side of the Rhine, the French side is nicer scenery, German side is much faster, the A3 and A5 have virtually no limits , they are fast roads, 100 plus in outside lane, 85/90 middle lane, 70 inside lane, constantly overtaking trucks/caravans, very busy and very disciplined, its boring countryside, mostly forest, so i sat at around 100 for about 70 miles, no fuss, perfectly normal, just keep out the way of the faster traffic....Tracer just purrs along at that speed, a couple of bursts up to 140 just because i could.... :015: and chasing Porsches.....

nice hotel in centre, bar/café over the road, 3 nights for £100 inc breakfast….

Dusseldorf/Rhine looking nice in summer

next day i re did the route Mike5100 and i did in December last year  (when i fell off)

https://goo.gl/maps/UNagSKhiA5F2

glorious day, around 34-35 degs….i need shade.... :142:

everywhere the ground was parched

Mohnsee dam, no snow this time... :015:

further along the valley, another smaller dam, Sorpesee…

on the way back to town, huge black clouds rolled in, i stopped at services for something to eat and sat out the storm, thunder/lightning, then back to sun in an hour

aching back/wrists again next day so chilled in town...

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2018, 09:46 PM »
ferry home from Zeebrugge to Hull priced at £279 one way..... :5:  Amsterdam to Newcastle fully booked, that left Dunkirk/Calais to Dover or the tunnel, decided on Dunkirk @£39, 4pm sailing, 2hrs 30mins crossing, decide whehter to get hotel at Dunkirk and ride home next morning or ride straight home when disembarked

https://goo.gl/maps/R6VwhcgoWPU2

nice easy 220 miles....ha ha, roadworks in Netherlands around Genk, m/way closed, all detour signs in Dutch, an hour and 35 sweaty annoying miles later i was back on track... :125: round Maastrict at least twice  :008:

disembarked ferry in nice sunny conditions, decided to ride straight home and skip hotel

bad move, the gods must have decided payback for 10 days of sun, i got the whole 10 days worth of rain in a 6 hour, 600 mile ride home, just over the Dartford crossing the skies got blacker and blacker, then down it came, thunder, lightning the works.........at least it was warm, got home 1.30 am, 3 pairs of soggy gloves, 1 pair of new Falco waterproof summer boots full of water, and the inside of my helmet soaked due to wicking up water......

still, had a great time, lots of variety.....which, after all, is the spice of life......... :biker1:

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Most excellent young man

Where in Basel did you swim, the river by the zoo on one side the park on the other?

Done that Lucerne loop and O think the mway but will need to Google that one
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2018, 11:09 PM »
as you know, its a hugely popular thing to jump off the bridge into the Rhine, just where you say.... float down for half a mile and get out, they even do Rhine bags now, its a roll bag, you put all your clothes etc in it, chuck it in and use it as a floater... :008:   I was a bit worried my old knackered lungs wouldn't allow me to swim to the side and i'd end up floating to Rotterdam  :015: so we went in a local smaller river

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2018, 03:10 AM »

Enjoyed that,  particularly the urban pics. Very different from towns over here. Don't envy you the heat, tho. Even mid 30s is plenty for me.

Any further plans on making the Tracer a better fit?  No fun hurting before the end of the day.

Thanks for posting,

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2018, 02:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Enjoyed that,  particularly the urban pics. Very different from towns over here. Don't envy you the heat, tho. Even mid 30s is plenty for me.

Any further plans on making the Tracer a better fit?  No fun hurting before the end of the day.

Thanks for posting,

Rob.

30 degs is enough, any hotter is wasted, over 35 is a pita, like riding in an oven....a fan oven with visor open  :008: then in towns the fan is on most of the time, just cooks you up

there is virtually no atgatt in Switzerland, most people ride in shorts/t shirt, I tried it for a coupe of miles, feel very vulnerable, ended up riding in ordinary jeans over about 33 degs, bearable, jacket open a bit and cuffs undone to funnel wind up the arms, not too bad once moving

the comfort on the Tracer is disappointing, but it must be mostly down to me, my mate and others are happy with theirs, the root is the rearset footrests, no matter what I do with bars/seat I still feel i'm leaning forward from the backside......just makes my lower back/wrists ache,  on a long day its enough to be tired without any additional discomfort, i'm just about out of idea's, i'll maybe try an airhawk or similar, got to be worth a try, but ultimately I think its down to peg/seat relationship, its just a bike designed to be ridden in a slant forward sporty position, i'm trying to make it something else, i'm just used to sit up and beg position, feels the most natural,  ive done the same exact rides on the Versys (and longer) with no discomfort at all....on the other hand the its a great long distance sporty tourer, it gobbles miles effortlessly without being ridiculously fast, its light, averaged 59 mpg on trip, handles well, has lovely motor and brakes....what a pity, you mentioned weather protection, ive got screen set up sorted now, quite big but not gold wing size, I can sit at 75 with visor up, no buffeting, quiet enough not to need earplugs, very little inclement weather gets to me, the tank area is wide and keeps the worst off your upper legs, its a pleasant place to be other than the back issue :006:

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Have you tried changing the rearsets?

I was having some of the same issues as you on my GSX-S and I fitted new rearsets and spent some time fiddling and now it is like a different bike.

The ones I got have 6 different foot peg positions and two positions for the brake and gear lever so there is a lot of room to move everything around to find  a much better leg position.
I still need a decent seat pad because the standard one is made from concrete but my legs are fine now.

Great report as well!