Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: An idiot abroad  (Read 3194 times)

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: An idiot abroad
« Reply #40 on: Sep 15, 2018, 11:40 AM »
 :028: :028: :028: :028:

good pics...

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #41 on: Sep 15, 2018, 11:51 AM »
This definitly happened it has pics  :028: :028: :028:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #42 on: Sep 16, 2018, 10:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I still haven't seen the idiot bit, maybe I missed it :027:

Obviously I've been following my lawyers advice which was "Say nothing and you'll probably get away with it", followed by "Pay up promptly or Big Dave will be round with his crowbar for a little chat."

But if I take the view that it all happened in another country and it's been a month and no brown envelopes have arrived...

At the top of the Grand Goulet the old road was closed and a new tunnel dug to replace it. In that order. Something to do with the scenery becoming detached and falling on passers by too frequently. I've cycled (in both directions) through the tunnel many times  with my son, the normal procedure when going down is to go into the tunnel, scream a little because it's so cold in there compared to the temperature outside and then loudly sing a song to enjoy the acoustics. We had often wondered just how fast we were going in there, but as my  bike computer is GPS based we never knew, and by the time it managed to acquire a signal again we were well down the road (it's old, and cheap).

So I thought I would find out. Going into the tunnel pretty slowly and selecting neutral the speed slowly increased. 1700 metres later when I came out of the tunnel I had the answer. 65kph (well, on a Versys).

At this point there were two pertinent facts that I should have remembered:
1. Motorcycle gearboxes do not have synchromesh.
2. Wet multi-plate clutches to not completely disengage.

Ouch. Apart from the noise at the time I don't appear to have caused any lasting harm.  Maybe Kawasaki include an idiot factor in their stress calculations.

What else? In some of the pictures there's a bit of motion blur. Obviously I photoshopped that on, because I'm not the kind of idiot who would take one hand off the bars to lift up his camera and take pictures, not when approaching a bend where getting it wrong  would result in several seconds worth of freefall in which to enjoy the stunning scenery. Before become part of it. No, not me.

One final one that I'll admit to. On my longest day, somewhere near the end. I stopped for a break, took off my helmet and put it on the seat, took off my jacket and put it over the topbox to allow the sweat to run out of the arms. Then the wind caught my jacket and one of the sleeves flipped up and knocked my lid off.  I think the nearby French children may have learnt some English phrases that they weren't taught in school. Also any nearby English children.

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #43 on: Sep 16, 2018, 11:26 AM »

Hopeless, my dear Zipperhead, bloody hopeless  :182: .

Go back down to the bottom of the class, ride to the top again and write about it.

Repeat 100 times.

:211:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #44 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I think you can stop berating yourself.

There is nothing that silly there, riding into a ditch on the third day of ownership qualifies for idiot status.
I also dropped my helmet yesterday in an incredibly similar situation, so also definately not idiot status!

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: A Superior Mk1 V
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #45 on: Sep 16, 2018, 02:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I think you can stop berating yourself.

There is nothing that silly there, riding into a ditch on the third day of ownership qualifies for idiot status.
I also dropped my helmet yesterday in an incredibly similar situation, so also definately not idiot status!
well on the way in qualifying for this then  :notsure:

Details HERE  :123A:

Online Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #46 on: Sep 16, 2018, 05:47 PM »
I have also not noticed the idiot bit either......a brilliant report and equally brilliantly written up  :123A: :123A:

Am sure I went through the Vercors area many years ago but did not know about the recent history (my excuse is I would have been on a sportsbike)  thanks for the video , very very interesting and makes one realise how lucky we are to live in the times we do.......

RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Honet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k

Offline gicut58

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 '14
  • City / Town: St Snots
« Reply #47 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Have followed this report from the start, done my own trip in the middle and come back to it - looks like you've had a brilliant trip and a thanks for the cracking ride report. I must start planning my next one too......

G
Versys 650 '14
Status S2, GB Shuttle 6.0,TC Helicon, Cubase an' other stuff

Offline Russ.K

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 650 Versys 08
  • City / Town: Staffordshire
« Reply #48 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Thanks again for a fantastic report with amazing photos, all of this so inspires me to attempt a proper "long trip" in the near future
regards Russ
 :031: :031: :031:
Yamaha FS1E, Honda CB100, Kawasaki Z250, KH400, Yamaha RD350lc Honda CB900f2. Kawasaki Gpz900r. Bmw R80RS Suzuki Bandit 1200

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #49 on: Oct 13, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Planning/negotiations have already started for next years trips - Italy with my wife and the Route des Grande Alpes with my son. Meantime I've a few days holiday to use up so I'm going to go to Normandy at the end of the month.