Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Adjusting rear suspension help  (Read 481 times)

Offline Bill92

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 vsersys
  • City / Town: Northolt
Adjusting rear suspension help
« on: Aug 15, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Hi everyone Iíve got 2016 650 I weigh 19 stone am 5/11 tall have short legs how many clicks to adjust my rear suspension

Offline TimTyler

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2014 Versys
  • City / Town: Olympia, WA
Tim
2014 Versys 650
1991 BMW K75
http://find.timtyler.com

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
  • actually, versys "oldbie"
  • Bike: 2008 versys
  • City / Town: extreme south tx
Re: Adjusting rear suspension help
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2018, 05:40 PM »
yep bill, a lot of stuff online regarding setting your rear suspension. start by "setting the sag" which will involve adjusting the rear shock's preload to better use it's travel range, then adjust the rebound. it will depend on your weight. you want to avoid the extremes of "topping out" your shock, which is not efficiently using its travel range (being too high in that range), and "bottoming out", being too low in that travel range such that the rear wheel hits the bike below the seat.

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Just don't expect adjustment to put it "right". It very probably won't.
Lots of us have binned the OEM shock.
Ted.

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
  • actually, versys "oldbie"
  • Bike: 2008 versys
  • City / Town: extreme south tx
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2018, 01:58 AM »
Bill, a lot of people don't like the V's rear shock. there's certainly higher end shocks out there. but don't toss it until you've properly done a basic set up on your suspension, and see where you stand (forks too). the V has a rather harsh suspension, but make sure part of it isn't because it's not set up properly. depending on what you're using your V for... track, touring, city, sport, limited dirt, or all of the above, will determine where you stand with the suspension. for me, it's touring, city, a little sport/dirt --- and properly set up, the 2008's shock covers my needs. what was worse was the front forks. very harsh. required some changes, but overall I'm content with the set up. it's one of those goldilocks things. everybody's different.