Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Oil Filter Woes  (Read 3039 times)

Offline skatty

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 13 versys/Beta
  • City / Town: Inverness
Re: Oil Filter Woes
« Reply #30 on: Aug 18, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Ebay item no 310429994277.  No slipping or faffing about works every time as long as you have access..

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #31 on: Aug 18, 2018, 12:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Crikes you go back a long way, Kevin  :008: :008: .

Rob.
I'm really rather old.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #32 on: Aug 18, 2018, 02:45 PM »

Bit feisty for an old fella .....  :whistle: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Africa Twin AS
  • City / Town: Co Durham
« Reply #33 on: Aug 18, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Well folks the wait is over......................

This morning around 7.50am,i was awoken to the distinct sound of a whirring triple engine,after a few moments i realised this could only mean one thing,the day of reckoning had indeed arrived,i looked out of the window and saw a Dave,but not just any Dave,this was a Dave of the Whiskey type and he was armed with his strap on.

I bid him good morning and led him to the filter of mercy,after a brief examination he indicated to me to steady the bike and to hold on whilst he wielded his mighty weapon of persuasion.He gave me the nod and in a confident low tone muttered the words "Brace Yourself".This was it,i didn't start this war but with Dave by my side,i was feeling pretty confident we could finish it together.I held firm and began to fight the forces being transferred up through the bike trying to tip it over from Daves impressive strap on power,we both pulled and heaved in opposite directions fighting the resistance and exerting as much force as possible to the crucial area,then all of a sudden with a big exhale of air he pulled out from underneath,puffed out his red cheeks and sighed "it's gone"

What a moment,Dave had defeated the Goliath of filters at the battle of Lubrac#nt,no high fives or fist pumping here,just a silent stare at this warrior of filtration who had given his all,the enemy yes but also a martyr,he went down fighting right till the end but victory was ours.The new K&N was fitted and fresh oil added to the sump,then after a few mins putting all the fastenings back on,the Versys was back in action and to celebrate it was decided a ride out was in order.

We got some fuel from a nearby Tesco and headed off down the A68 until we reached Barnard Castle where the smell of bacon was rife in the air and i couldn't resist it any longer,so we pulled in and went to Penny Cafe were i enjoyed a full english but the battle of Lubrac#nt had really taken out of Dave and he could only manage a roll,poor Dave.

We left Pennys cafe fully recharged and we decided that i would show Dave Winston bridge,the subject of a small ride report i'd done a few months ago,the place where the guy flew the spitfire under the bridge for a film,on the way there you have to pass over another quirky old suspension bridge which i got this great shot of hero Dave on his Traitor.....

Ive just realised this thread is now slowly morphing into a mini ride report,but hey it's relevant to the original issue,anyhow a few miles later Dave got to see the mighty Spitfire bridge at Winston.

On the way home i showed legend Dave a little coffee stop at Stanhope tourist railway station,as he was obviously a bit low on steam  :015: from all that effort he'd put in today,here's a snap he took of me getting some training  :whistle:

Well that's it folks,it's all over,this is now nothing but a chapter in history,but mark this day in your diary as it is to be commemorated annually in recognition of mighty Dave's achievements at the battle of Lubrac#nt.

Cheers Boggs

:031:    :biker1:  :37:
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2018, 03:42 PM by Boggs »
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1 V & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #34 on: Aug 18, 2018, 03:49 PM »

Details HERE  :123A:

Offline kevin..in

• Versys God
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: stoke
« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2018, 04:00 PM »
valve clearances next?  :whistle:

Offline tommyvous

• Versys Pro
  • actually, versys "oldbie"
  • Bike: 2008 versys
  • City / Town: extreme south tx
« Reply #36 on: Aug 18, 2018, 05:06 PM »
funny thread, i like the literary ending. nothing like a stuck oil filter to get all us bootleg mechanics to start opining. so here i go.

i use fram oil filters and try to get the one's with the  black grit on the top to help the oil filter wrench to grip. unfortunately  i can't get the fram motorcycle oil filters with the black grip stuff these days. only available on the car filters.

i tend to use strap filter wrenches, but have acquired many other types over the years, including the ones sized to fit over the top of the filter, that you use with a ratchet.

the only time I've ever had problems with oil filters is when SOMEBODY ELSE put them on too tight. hand tight then a quarter turn is the way i learned.

the best way to get off a stuck filter is using duct tape on the filter to help get a better grip with the wrench. i only use the screwdriver method (if you want to call it that) as a last resort. also, after you manage to collapse the filter housing, you can grab the metal mess with a big pair of pliers and usually turn it.

btw, i've never botched a filter change. the above is from another guy i know who routinely screws up the job. i would never do that.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V. 014 V.
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #37 on: Aug 18, 2018, 07:17 PM »

Great report, Boggs, and Victory well Celebrated  :2: .

Glad it worked out well in the end - nice to have friends in the right places, on their knees, strap in hand  :whistle: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
« Reply #38 on: Aug 18, 2018, 09:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by kevin..in [+]
valve clearances next?  :whistle:

I would rather eat turds  :008:
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
« Reply #39 on: Aug 18, 2018, 09:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

nice to have friends in the right places, on their knees, strap in hand  :whistle: .

Rob.
and a correctly lubed flange.

:028:

Previous Stuff: