Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: NO LONGER WANTED: Mk 2 exhaust downpipe snapped  (Read 470 times)

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
NO LONGER WANTED: Mk 2 exhaust downpipe snapped
« on: Sep 28, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Hello,

Riding along the M1 yesterday and my bike got suddenly "throatier".  I managed to nurse it home, sounding like a moped with no exhaust on.  But at least traffic heard me coming and got out of the way.   :2:    The bloke who fixes my bike said £390 down pipe and £592 for silencer (£982 - ouch  :5:)

Before I order a Delkevic full system this morning (£319 delivered), does anybody have a full system sitting in their garage that would fit a 2012 Mk 2 650? 

I'm looking for road legal as I have to tootle to and from work in traffic every day.  On the plus side, I didn't like the silencer when I bought it (an ER-6?) but got over 7,000 miles out of it before having to change it.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2018, 12:15 PM by Guitar_Slinger »
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Mk 2 exhaust downpipe snapped - anybody got one?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I fitted a Black Widow downpipes, which if I recall correctly was around £200.

Mine went at about 22k miles.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2018, 10:46 AM »
FYI,

The reason why the Mk1 and Mk2 exhaust cracks at that point is that the two main exhaust box hanger bolts have become loose and the main box then rotates about the main one causing the exhaust pipe to break at that well known seam.

I modified my exhaust hanger bolts when I gutted the cat @ ~6,000 miles HERE   :celebrate:

Now @ 45,000 miles I have not had any problems.  :123A:
Inspected the / checked last week and it was still sound and solidly mounted  :028: :028:

Richard  :001:

*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Quick tip. :028:
If you want to change the OEM silence quickly (i.e. not have to faf around removing the RHS foot peg and plastic covers all the time) to extract the long bolt.

Once the silence box is off, cut the spacer tube off the OEM Silencer and use two shorter N/bolts + the front third stabiliser bolt.

As seen here at the bottom of the picture.

Also this arrangement makes for a much solidly mounted OEM silencer box which does not come loose and therefore does not contribute to the front downpipes cracking scenario. :028:

Richard
Richard    :001:           

Online Galwayversys

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Few...
  • City / Town: Galway - Ireland
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Are you left with a "collar" at the end of the downpipes? If so, this happened to me too,I got the piece welded back on and no problems since.
Cheap fix, and it doesn't need to be pretty because it's hidden away

Offline Guitar_Slinger

• Versys Pro
  • I like rock.
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: London
NO LONGER WANTED
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2018, 01:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip TowerMan - the downpipe snapped exactly there and Googlin' says it ain't a surprise, seeing as the silencer weighs over 6kg.

In the meantime, my friendly neighbourhood mechanic put Gun Gum around the join on Saturday.  Two hours later, I gently rode a mile home before running the engine for another 30 minutes on my drive.  It sounds "normal" but I've got a 50 mile trip to work tonight, returning later in the week.  I've bought a Delkevic system with 350mm silencer off fleaBay, to be fitted when I'm back.

If anyone sees a Mk 2 Bumblebee with panniers doing 60 on the motorway, that's me.  :008:
Honda MT-5, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha TDR250, Honda C90, Suzuki VS800, Honda Superdream CB250N, Piaggio Liberty 50, Versys 650 Mk2.