Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Headlight Bulbs  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 09 Versys tourer
  • City / Town: London
Re: Headlight Bulbs
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Just an update, before fitting my panels this morning thought I'd fit the Cob LED bulbs, now I'd been told you had to cut away the rubber boot and all sorts, but I really can't see why? I just reversed them and they fitted fine, haven't had a chance to run them at night but will give feedback when I do.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2019, 07:24 PM by Rictus »

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I'm told heat build up will kill the bulbs? we'll see how it goes.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2019, 02:24 PM »
got to go out for a couple of hours ride in the dark, mostly unlit back roads down into Surrey, most impressed with the LED headlight bulbs, with the 2 x 5w led DRL & the dip beam it makes a good spread, didn't get anyone flashing me or anything like that and I think it's set about right, add the Main beam and it's punching a lot further than before, the 75w light bar kind of fills in the gap between so I think I'm just about set lighting wise.

Oh, I did have a feel and after a solid 2 hour ride, the rear of the bulbs was perhaps a little warm, but definitely not hot.

I do have a couple of spot lamps, but to be honest I can't see a need for them...... :notsure:

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2019, 12:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
my Tiger 800 has 2 bulbs on at once, but when you go to main beam, both dips go off....seems the maker doesn't want you drawing 240 watts at once

There was a problem early doors with people holding the "passing light" switch on for a couple of minutes, thereby bringing the two dipped and two main filaments on, blows the main fuse and you can't start the bike  :008:
Just passin' through

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2019, 12:56 PM »
I fitted the Nightbreakers on my Explorer, good improvement in lighting and a bit whiter in colour, as Wal the Triumphs are already twin lamp, so fairly good as standard, they did look slightly yellow against the LED fog lights though.

Don't increase the wattage too much, 55w to 60w is fine, but as most bike headlamp lenses are now plastic going to 80-90w can melt, or at least discolour the lens.

The main problem with HiD, or LED is that the reflector isn't focussed right for them, this can lead to dazzling other traffic and a hefty fine off of the Rozzers  :138:
Just passin' through

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2019, 12:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
There was a problem early doors with people holding the "passing light" switch on for a couple of minutes, thereby bringing the two dipped and two main filaments on, blows the main fuse and you can't start the bike  :008:
That's what comes from designing a cheap bike sold expensively just based on it name. I thought you would have learnt your lesson 1st time around 😳
Richard    :001: 

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2019, 01:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
That's what comes from designing a cheap bike sold expensively just based on it name. I thought you would have learnt your lesson 1st time around 😳

No, it's what's commonly known as "operator error", talking of cheap built, but overpriced bikes, how's the big kwacker going  :notsure:
Just passin' through

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2019, 03:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
No, it's what's commonly known as "operator error", talking of cheap built, but overpriced bikes, how's the big kwacker going  :notsure:
D

As always - Reliably and Brilliantly  :001:

Incidentally had to give a Exploder rider (same fault as yours  :124: ) a lift home the other night.
He was so impressed that he is getting an official test ride on the new V1k Mk3 on Saturday, as he said the pillion seat will be very comfortable for him and his wife who share the riding of the bike  :celebrate:

Richard  :001:
Richard    :001: 

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #18 on: Apr 26, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Now now children.      :015:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro