Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear brake oil change on Versys 2012  (Read 441 times)

Offline Versigor

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: KALE650
  • City / Town: Ardennes
Rear brake oil change on Versys 2012
« on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Hi guys,
as my rear brake is not very reactive I wanted to change the oil. I watched a few video's... easy I thought.
But on the MK2 the oil container is under the saddle, surrounded by the frame and the battery ... I thought, I unscrew the bolt that holds the container in place
and lower it through the frame for easy access , but I can not get the container through the frame.... :173:

Any advice, thanks,

Igor

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Rear brake oil change on Versys 2012
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Versigor [+]
Hi guys,
as my rear brake is not very reactive I wanted to change the oil. I watched a few video's... easy I thought.
But on the MK2 the oil container is under the saddle, surrounded by the frame and the battery ... I thought, I unscrew the bolt that holds the container in place
and lower it through the frame for easy access , but I can not get the container through the frame.... :173:

Any advice, thanks,

Igor

Igor

!st - the rear brake is not very good on any V650 Mk 1 & 2. It only improved when on the Mk3 they went from a 200 mm dia. to a 250 mm dia. rear Disc.

the easiest way to change the brake fluid is using a Vacuum brake bleeder and suck it all through / out the brake caliper nipple  :028:

Richard  :001:

Details HERE  :123A:

Offline Versigor

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2018, 09:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
the easiest way to change the brake fluid is using a Vacuum brake bleeder and suck it all through / out the brake caliper nipple  :028:

Richard  :001:

Ok, thanks for you reply, I'll have a look at such a bleeder.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:22 PM »
You don't need a vacuum pump to move the the fluid through the system.  Pumping the brake lever will do that too.  All you need is a plastic tube and a container to drain the brake fluid into.  A vacuum pump makes bleeding the air out a bit easier, but not really necessary.  There won't be a lot of air if you make sure you don't let the level in the reservoir drop so much that you entrain new air in the system.   Add a bit of fluid every time it drops to about a 1/3 and that's covered.  Once you see clear new fluid coming out of the bleed nipple, you are done.

Do NOT put the brake fluid into the same oil pan you use for oil changes like they show in the video.  That will contaminate the oil and it cannot be recycled.  Or worse, you will take it to your oil recycler w/o telling them and contaminate their container (with a lot more oil in it).

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Change the pads rather than the oil, go for EBC HH and they are an improvement, reminds me I must order some. Plus give the brakes a regular clean and lube. Red grease for the rubber stuff/calipers, copperslip for all the other moving parts for me but each to their own.
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Versigor

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
You don't need a vacuum pump to move the the fluid through the system.  Pumping the brake lever will do that too.
Gustavo

Hello Gustavo, yes I know the basic procedure.
My biggest concern  was the position of the reservoir, it is in the frame, next to the battery, you can hardly see the max and min lines, and I 'm afraid to spill oil ...
Today I lowered the reservoir through the frame but the 'hose'? is not long enough to put the reservoir in a better position, so I put it back in his original position,
I'll have to be careful not spill oil...
Thanks for your advice,

Igor

Offline Versigor

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Change the pads rather than the oil, go for EBC HH and they are an improvement, reminds me I must order some. Plus give the brakes a regular clean and lube. Red grease for the rubber stuff/calipers, copperslip for all the other moving parts for me but each to their own.

OK, if the oil change makes no difference I'll buy the EBC HH pads,
thank you for your input,

Igor