Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 1st Off - Driver doesnt want to involve Insurance companies  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: 1st Off - Driver doesnt want to involve Insurance companies
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Straight through Insurance
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline P.E.

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2011 650 Versys
  • City / Town: New Hamburg
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:56 AM »
I would recommend going through insurance.

As previously stated the other party has some motivation to pay cash that he is not sharing.

You do not have to take any risks to arrive at a fair settlement.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

Offline WatchDog

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Borders
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Handy Tip for stopping at Traffic Lights.  1. Do Not..Come to a stop right up the arse, of the vehicle in front. Allow space to enable you to go Right or Left. 2. Stay in 1st gear, and turn your Bars, in the direction, which would afford you an `Escape` route, at a moments notice. 3. Maintain observation in your mirrors, for vehicles approaching you from behind, and `Dab` your brake light, as they approach, until you can feel confident they have seen you, and are slowing to a halt (You can then go to Neutral, if you so choose).
  This is especially more important at Road Work, Traffic Lights (Country/Rural roads being the more dangerous).  People become `Familiar`, with their route to Work, the Shops, etc, and very often drive on `Auto Pilot`, and dont concentrate as they should...and can be taken unawares, by their sudden appearance. Be vigilant and always ride `Defensively`.
  I`m not teaching anyone to `Suck Eggs`,..just trying to keep you out of a Wheelchair,..or worse. My Paraplegic Mate, has spent the last 22 years, in a Wheelchair, since being struck from behind, in similiar circumstances. I doubt the Driver responsible, even gives him a thought, these days,...My Mate, lives with it ..every day.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018, 12:17 PM by WatchDog »

Offline mac one

• Versys Master
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Well said Watchdog, when i sit at lights or at a junction i always do a mirror check and flash the brake lights for whoever is coming up behind me even when i am in the car or van.
My sons partner recently had her car wrote off when she was at a standstill in the middle of the Tyne bridge by some dodo not paying attention , luckily she was okay, it also caused havoc to peak time traffic in Newcastle and Gateshead.

Offline WatchDog

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Borders
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Unfortunately, the circumstances of the incident, are even more appalling. Not only did it rob him of a full life, a promising career in the Royal Navy, and the chance to become a Father, it traumatised both him..and his Wife.
   Clive had stopped at the Traffic Lights, on the main road, waiting to turn right, which would have taken him to the Hospital, where his Missus worked as a Nurse. She was waiting outside the Emergency entrance, for Clive to pick her up. She only became aware of Clives accident, when an Ambulance pulled up in front of her,..and a Emergency Tri-age team, came out to meet it. I cannot imagine her despair, when she saw it was Clive. who was the victim.
   Time has passed, and I have nothing but admiration, for my Mate, who always has a smile on his face, and a wicked sense of humour. It humbles me. Last year, I watched a video of their wedding, for which Clive used an `Exo Skeleton`,..so determined was he to `Walk down the Aisle`. I have to admit,..I sat, with tears running down my face, as I watched. I have eluded, in an earlier Post, that I have been exposed to the effects, of some very tragic sights before, as a result of the type of work, I have done in my Life. However, when it becomes `Personal`, it is a very different matter to take in.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018, 02:08 PM by WatchDog »

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:14 PM »
My first guess is the OP is having difficulties since nothing further has been posted, also Watchdog a very good recommendation of being in first gear and aimed for a escape, sometimes it is impossible to be prepared, last week a distracted driver in a pickup truck plowed into 3 vehicles stopped at a light, the one closest to the intersection was pushed into oncoming through traffic and ended getting a slow speed head on plus whiplash , could have been worse.
Thanks for posting.