Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Unplugging Headlight  (Read 408 times)

Offline coil

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 2011
  • City / Town: CHESTERFIELD
Unplugging Headlight
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Hi all  l have 2011 Versys with a blown dipped headlight bulb but the problem l have l cannot unplug  it no matter how hard l pull the plug it will not disengage  from the bulb just wandered  if any other  member  has had this problem
                                                                                                                                                   Dennis

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Unplugging Headlight
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:31 PM »

Yup, there's an adapter between the plug and the bulb. You may be able to pull the plug out of the adapter with the bulb in place, and then get the adapter off the bulb.
 Put a little dialectric grease on the contacts when re assembling and it will be easier next time.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline coil

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Yup, there's an adapter between the plug and the bulb. You may be able to pull the plug out of the adapter with the bulb in place, and then get the adapter off the bulb.
 Put a little dialectric grease on the contacts when re assembling and it will be easier next time.

Rob.

Thanks for promt reply  Rob so do l need to pull with some real force  if that doesn't  work what then?
                                                                                                                                                                                     Dennis

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 03:52 AM »

Yup, real force but cautious answer here because you don't want to be busting anything  :015: .

It may be worth your while to take off both side fairings so you can get at the back of the headlight assembly properly, even remove the headlight assembly (two bolts on each side if I remember correctly). Turn it over or, if the wire spring clip that holds the bulb into the reflector will open with the adapter in place then take the bulb out with adapter and plug still attached to the harness so you can see what you are doing. A shot of W.D.40 or the like in the join between the adapter and the plug may help. A thin flat blade screwdriver between adapter and bulb may help. Lots of wiggling It doesn't matter if the adapter doesn't come off the plug, it's the bulb obviously, that has to come out of the adapter.

If you grease up the terminals before re assembly it won't be such a pig next time. Might be an idea to do the other headlight too while you've got it all apart.

Let us know how you get on. You aren't the first to come across this problem  :2:.

Rob.

Offline coil

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Yup, real force but cautious answer here because you don't want to be busting anything  :015: .

It may be worth your while to take off both side fairings so you can get at the back of the headlight assembly properly, even remove the headlight assembly (two bolts on each side if I remember correctly). Turn it over or, if the wire spring clip that holds the bulb into the reflector will open with the adapter in place then take the bulb out with adapter and plug still attached to the harness so you can see what you are doing. A shot of W.D.40 or the like in the join between the adapter and the plug may help. A thin flat blade screwdriver between adapter and bulb may help. Lots of wiggling It doesn't matter if the adapter doesn't come off the plug, it's the bulb obviously, that has to come out of the adapter.

If you grease up the terminals before re assembly it won't be such a pig next time. Might be an idea to do the other headlight too while you've got it all apart.

Let us know how you get on. You aren't the first to come across this problem  :2:.

Rob.

Thanks Rob will give it a go in next couple of days will let you  know when job done
                                                                                                                                                   Dennis

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: Back in business
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:25 PM »
Gently wiggle it side to side and up and down while pulling. It will give
Easier with the panels off but i have changed the bulb with them in place cos I couldn't be arsed removing them  :006:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: Back in business
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I realise what that sounds like now  :138:  :008:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline coil

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kawaboy [+]
Gently wiggle it side to side and up and down while pulling. It will give
Easier with the panels off but i have changed the bulb with them in place cos I couldn't be arsed removing them  :006:

Have panels off Kawaboy already and plug  still wouldn't  come off  didn't  like to put to much pressure  on in case of damaging  headlight  but from what you and Rob say it needs some serious pulling  be weekend  now before l get round to it again
                                                                                                                                                                                  Dennis

Offline coil

• Versys Member
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:21 PM »

Rob.

Job done Rob followed  your and Kawaboys advice a bit of Gentle  Brute Force  worked a treat
                                                                                                                                                                      Dennis

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:44 PM »

:028: :028:

Gentle brute force - why didn't I think of that in the first place   :008: .

Rob.