Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fitting Pyramid hugger  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Graeme

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versus 650 2018
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
Fitting Pyramid hugger
« on: Dec 29, 2018, 08:38 AM »
My wife gave me a Pyramid rear hugger for the V for Christmas. Fitting looked fairly simple but a little head scratching about a plastic cap located on the swing-arm below the suspension adjuster which corresponds to the position on a fixing hole on the hugger. Apparently this is only present post 2017. Spent some time looking on internet, YouTube and this forum to try and work out how to get this out and what I would find underneath, to no avail. Instructions show a cap which should flip off. With a little careful levering I managed to break the top off the cap, leaving a plastic screw in the hole. Dug this out with a small screwdriver, careful not to damage the screw thread, exposing a hole which perfectly fits with the fixing screws provided with the hugger. In reality I'm not sure it would have come out any other way. Otherwise, a very easy job for a non-technical Versys owner. Looks the part, lets hope my delicate undercarriage benefits from the extra protection through the rest of the Winter, and maybe this will help someone else looking at the same job.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Fitting Pyramid hugger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2018, 04:33 PM »
From there website the fitting instructions HERE say  :028:

Fitting instructions:

1.   Remove original chain guard, brake hose clip bolt (on bikes pre 2016). 2017 models the clip has moved and the hole is now covered with a plastic blank. This is easily removed by hand, take care not to scratch swing arm if using a tool.

2.   Fit the supplied grommets and steel collars to the 3 holes in the Hugger. The larger 8mm steel collar should be installed in the grommet next to the shock absorber mounting.

3.   Slide hugger over the tyre from the rear and attach the tab on right hand side onto the top of the swing arm using 20mm Allen bolt (not fully tightened)

4.   Attach chain guard side of hugger using 2 x 20mm allen bolts (not fully tightened)

5.   Attach original brake hose clip bolt with brake hose clip on outside of hugger (pre 2016).

6.   Check alignment of hugger and tighten all fixings fully.

Note:
Please check all fasteners and alignment of the hugger periodically.
This hugger is not designed for use with an oversize tyre.
Pre load should be at maximum if carrying heavy luggage or passengers over 10 stone (63.5Kg / 140lbs).

Richard  :001:
                          Details HERE  :123A:

Offline Graeme

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versus 650 2018
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Agreed, except the 'plastic blank' in instruction 1 was not a simple plug to pop out as this seems to suggest.

Offline Davo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: CB500F Versys650
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Graeme [+]
Agreed, except the 'plastic blank' in instruction 1 was not a simple plug to pop out as this seems to suggest.

Nope, you have to turn it as you pull it out.

Keep an eye on that part of the hugger as well, mine has broken around the bolt and is now flapping about  :012:

A new hugger me thinks!!

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019, 05:09 PM by Davo »

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Africa Twin AS
  • City / Town: Co Durham
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Davo [+]
Nope, you have to turn it as you pull it out.

Keep an eye on that part of the hugger as well, mine has broken around the bolt and is now flapping about  :012:

A new hugger me thinks!!
Same thing happend to my Pyramid hugger on the baby V,they are notorious for it,try not to over tighten the fixings so that its got a bit of play,they seem very brittle.

Cheers Boggs
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2019, 09:54 PM by Boggs »
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Offline DavidA

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Verys650 MK3
  • City / Town: Newry
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Boggs [+]
Same thing happend to my Pyramid hugger on the baby V,they are notorious for it,try not to over tighten the fixings so that its got a bit of play,they seem very brittle.

Cheers Boggs
s
Mines in bits as well it was on bike when I bought it and it was very low mileage so I put original chain guard back on don't think I would recommend they are  not very flexible

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:15 AM »
When buying my new bike (October 018)  I decided to give Pyramid another chance. My MK2 little Versys had a Pyramid hugger fitted (by me) , and in less than 4 thousand miles broke across the top right hand side mounting.

But I thought that the design would have been improved over the years. This time the hugger was added by the dealer before I picked my new MK3 little V up. However, it seems like somethings never change, the new hugger also broke in exactly the same location as the first one.  :003:

Rather than arguing the toss with Pyramid, I thought I would let the dealer sort it out. So I phoned them, they said leave it with us to sort. But asked for me to send some photos of the break.

The dealer got back to me the day after, stating that they had sent the pickies to Pyramid. Pyramid replied saying " We have never had one break before"  yeah right""""thinks me. We all know that they have had lots break before :125:.

They then agreed to send a " Modified" replacement, under warranty. So I await the arrival of the new un.  And I am intrigued as to how the modification works, and for how long.  :002:

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 10:18 AM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Davo

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: CB500F Versys650
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
When buying my new bike (October 018)  I decided to give Pyramid another chance. My MK2 little Versys had a Pyramid hugger fitted (by me) , and in less than 4 thousand miles broke across the top right hand side mounting.

But I thought that the design would have been improved over the years. This time the hugger was added by the dealer before I picked my new MK3 little V up. However, it seems like somethings never change, the new hugger also broke in exactly the same location as the first one.  :003:

Rather than arguing the toss with Pyramid, I thought I would let the dealer sort it out. So I phoned them, they said leave it with us to sort. But asked for me to send some photos of the break.

The dealer got back to me the day after, stating that they had sent the pickies to Pyramid. Pyramid replied saying " We have never had one break before"  yeah right""""thinks me. We all know that they have had lots break before :125:.

They then agreed to send a " Modified" replacement, under warranty. So I await the arrival of the new un.  And I am intrigued as to how the modification works, and for how long.  :002:

If they have never had one break before, why have they modified it?  :5:
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 11:23 AM by Davo »

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Davo [+]
If they have never had one break before, why have they modified it?  :5:
    Exactly  :027:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?