Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New member / New rider  (Read 370 times)

Offline Bumblebee

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 ABS
  • City / Town: Northants
New member / New rider
« on: Jan 05, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Hi all,
Iím a 51 year old novice to riding bikes and forums come to that. I live in Northamptonshire in the UK and the only experience I have with two wheels is mountain biking and Vespas and Lambrettas in my teens (In the days of black and white) I expressed an interest in riding bikes to the missus after a friend took me for a blast on his Versys 1000 and she kindly signed me up to do my CBT on 20th October last year. After a mad flurry of lessons, tests and cash, I passed my Mod 2 on 28th December and promptly found and bought a 2015 bright yellow and black Versys 650 (now known as Bumblebee thanks to my kids). I hope Iíve chosen wisely but if the past few days are anything to go by I think I have. I wish Iíd have done this 30 years ago! The boring journey along the A14 to work is so much more fun, I canít wait for the drier, warmer weather to try the longer commute on the twisty country roads. I have loads of questions to ask which have probably been asked before, so Iíll trawl through previous messages before making you all repeat yourselves. Iím currently sitting in a well known overpriced coffee establishment waiting for my heated grips to be fitted as Iíve probably bought the wrong gloves for this time of year.
All the best and happy NY to you all.

Online Tony the oldie

• Versys God
  • Lycra lout
  • Bike: V1000 Green
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
Re: New member / New rider
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2019, 03:23 PM »
Welcome Bumblebee - two great decisions - getting your licence and buying a Versys 650.  When I was getting my licence (at an older age than you young man) my instructor advised me to get a Versys 650 and he was right.

And also,praise to your missus - you picked the right one there too.  :001: :2:

Enjoy your bike - and avoid the A14 as much as you can.

Tony

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Welcome and don't concern yourself with being a late back to biking chap, plenty of us on here.

Strongly recommend getting a few post test lessons once the initial excitement has worn off, or even better get on a Ride Safe course with the Police. It's amazing the bad habits one can pick up and I found extra lessons amazingly useful.

If you think you're enjoying the bike now then just wait for the roads to dry up and the temperature to rise.

Have a look at the NVM 2019 posts for a bit of mini-touring action if that interests you.

Online whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bumblebee [+]
Hi all,
Iím a 51 year old novice to riding bikes and forums come to that.
Got to be one of the youngest on here.  :notsure:
PS Welcome from the Great North East of England.  :028:
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2019, 04:39 PM by whiskydave »

Online TallTex

• Versys Member
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Hello, Bumblebee -- what a good first post and useful introduction.  :031:

Yours is not a common, but not a bad age to come to motorcycling. Well past the stupid and impulsive days, got good wife and family and job, liable to learn a lot quickly. Your satisfaction will be mastery of the thing, not how much you can scare the hell out of yourself for thrills...

I am 67 now, didn't have a bike until my mid-30's, with similar life conditions to yours. Still ridin' and loving it.

Interesting your reference to Vespas / Lambrettas. You're the son of a couple of Mods, I'll wager.  :007:

My current stable includes a Versys 1000LT and an Xmax 300 scooter. No clash of cultures there. One's a knife, one's a fork. Both perform their missions with style, while delivering fun by the shovel full.  :123A:

G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Lovin' it.
  • Bike: V1K Mk1 -GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Excellent choice of bike. Many newbies find it a good bike, but more importantly, many well experienced riders have come to the Versys and stayed with it as it does everything well for it's price.

I would also recommend some additional training from Bikesafe or IAM/ROSPA when you can, as that really does help your confidence and riding.
More importantly every rider, however good, comes away with something useful from the course.

Do try and come along to the NVM at Hawes. There are some cracking roads around that area, and Geoff, who is sorting the routes, is very good at making a really interesting ride.

Dave T
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2019, 05:11 PM by Oldplodder »
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:12 PM »

Welcome Bumblebee, and +1 to nearly all of the above - I can't comment on the A14  :whistle:.

Like others here I came to biking late and have never looked back. My '08 Versys is my favourite bike of all mostly because it has exceeded both my hopes and expectations by a wide margin.
  Your buzz suggests that you are in entirely the right zone with respect to both bike and forum.

Buzz on  :2:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: Back in business
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Welcome BB
I too returned to biking after a long spell - I was about your age if I can remember that far back  :notsure:
+1 to Bike Safe.
Enjoy the freedom and the forum  :031:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Bumblebee

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 ABS
  • City / Town: Northants
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:32 PM »
Many thanks for the welcome, advice and convincing me I'm not too old for this. I'll check out the Bikesafe courses as the local site is only 20 minutes away and sounds like a great investment of time.
The heated grips are amazing by the way, cue an unseasonal heatwave? Maybe not.
BB

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:40 AM »
I love stories like this, nice one Bumblebee. :152:
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?