Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: DROPPED THE BEGGAR!  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
DROPPED THE BEGGAR!
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:06 PM »
 :019: Can't believe it but can believe it. Just wasn't 'feeling it' tonight on my way back from the nursing home, came up to a closed road in our estate and did a U-turn but wasn't really doing it and 'Oh dear' over we went! :138: Everything still works but now I'm looking for a new bit of fairing which cracked around the indicator stalk. Any ideas? Also squashed the right hand cheapy fog light.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
Re: DROPPED THE BEGGAR!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:09 PM »
Don't be too hard on yrself, brother. We've all done it. Fate is the hunter... enough harmless factors line up and...

My last was on my Suzuki S40 in 2015: tired and late, dark night, a narrow asphalt drive, uphill U-turn, fixated on the pavement edge and a bordering dirt slope, got a little slow, dumped it. The turn was doable -- just -- but I did it impulsively and without proper mental preparation. Broken lever, 2 turn signal stalks, bent peg. The worst damage: I was extremely pissed at myself. I knew how I was screwing up as I screwed up. Took a week or two to get off my own case...  :124:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Lovin' it.
  • Bike: V1K Mk1 -GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Most of us riders are a drop-waiting-to-happen - Been lucky so far with this Versys, but quite regularly drop my Wing onto the crash bars, as without perfect grip when you come to a stop, the bugger is so heavy your feet slide sideways from under you!
Clever Honda built the crash-bars to prevent damage when the owner drops it (it is 'when' and not 'if').

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Tex and Dave, that's exactly right!  Just wasn't in the right frame of mind. I haven't mentioned it to my wife as she doesn't like me riding the bike anyway. Might just tell her it was those 'pesky kids'. :007:

Online Graeme

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versus 650 2018
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Me too. Finished early Thursday afternoon, still light, decided to take a little run out into the Cotswolds for an hour. Stopped at Tesco to pick up a couple of things at the end of a nice ride. Manoeuvering out of parking area, not concentrating properly, next thing I know, balance is gone and the bike is on its side! Thankfully I had the panniers on as I needed somewhere to stash my gear during the day, only damage is a bit of a scuff on left pannier and hand guard... and dented pride. Shit happens... been there before over the years but first time almost pristine bike after 8 months is doubly annoying.
Graeme

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Graeme [+]
Thankfully I had the panniers on as I needed somewhere to stash my gear during the day,

Yes, you've got to love those panniers when you pick the bike back up. I did the same thing on a previous versys which I had parked diagonally uphill in our street so that I could install new Givi panniers. Nipped back in doors to get my gear on and then, somehow managed to forget about the extra width of the bike! Clipped the bumper of the car I'd parked behind with the L/H pannier and that was enough to put the whole show on it's side. Worse thing was all the neighbours coming out to help/witness my humiliation.  :138:

(can't even do the quote thingy right now!)
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2019, 09:56 AM by Siberman »

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:42 PM »
Here is, hopefully, the tragic evidence picture.

I've managed to push it back into shape. Kind of.  :016:

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:05 PM »
That sort of damage can sometimes be repaired by removing the panel and epoxying a reinforcement piece on the inside -- maybe a piece of plastic cut from the wall of an oil container and cut to shape -- and clamping everything flat. Then a dab of filler putty, some light sanding and touch up paint and it's back in service.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Where is Stewie when you need him.  :notsure:

Online Flying v2

• Versys Pro
  • Careful now
  • Bike: Xsr700
  • City / Town: Hednesford