Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Another new Versys rider  (Read 652 times)

Offline Smautf

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: CBR954RR+KLE650
  • City / Town: London
Another new Versys rider
« on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Hi all,

I picked up a white 2015 Versys 650 GT yesterday so I thought I would drop in and say "hello".

I live in London and also own a slightly elderly Fireblade which, come April, will cost me £12.50 to ride into town.

I'm not quite ready to sell the Blade so thought I would get something which would be a proper contrast, as well as being OK to take into the new Ultra Low Emissions Zone.

This one has been well-used by two previous owners but seems to be in pretty good shape. It's mostly standard apart from SW Motech crash bars, and I got the dealer to fit some new heated grips as part of the deal.

A few quick questions :

- headlights - I've just noticed that when they're dipped only one side is on. Both come on when you switch to full beam, As the bike passed an MOT this week, I assume this just how they work but it's a new one on me so would be grateful if someone could confirm...

- I took it for a quick blast yesterday before the weather closed in and it's pretty comfortable - the main thing that bothered me was that the brake pedal seemed to be low - felt like quite a big dip with my right foot to operate it. Is this adjustable ?

- there is some kind of aftermarket sat nav bracket fitted above the dash - i'll want at some point to be able to attach a phone case using one of those RAM ball things - anyone else done similar and can recommend a good solution ?

- also, is there a recommended converter for the 12v socket to be able to connect a USB cable ?

- the bike has no hugger and i usually like to fit these. As the coffers are a bit depleted I was looking at some cheap Chinese options on eBay (around £30) and wondering if anyone has any experience of them ?

Oh, a couple of pics :

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Lovin' it.
  • Bike: V1K Mk1 -GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: Another new Versys rider
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:19 AM »
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

You have bought a good bike for London, England, Scotland, Ireland and all of Europe. They are good bikes which with regular servicing will go for some high mileages.

Headlights - get used to being told - Hey Mister you've blown a headlight bulb!

Rear Brakes on the Versys are well known for not very good retardation, but I suspect yours may need some adjustment.

Every combination of mounts have been tried - Try the search button and have coffee and popcorn ready

There are a large number of 12v and usb type sockets and converters on the market - again, I may suggest the search button.

Some mixed reports on Chinese Huggers - can you afford the gamble? if so give it a go and report back here please

Dave T

Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:44 AM »
 :185: to the forum Chris.

You can't go wrong with the little Versys. Ultra reliable, comfortable and a jack of all trades. The brake pedal height is adjustable, but is a bit fiddly.

As Dave states, yes the headlight does only light one side on dip beam. Lots of folk get really uptight about this, but it is not something that bothers me.

Regarding comfort, I have found my 018 650 model even more comfy than my 2 previous Versys 1000s.

I hope that you enjoy the new bike, and that it suites your needs.

There is lots of help and info here if and when needed.  cheers  :031:    Geoff. :152:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Boggs

• Versys Mega God
  • The Pennine Explorer
  • Bike: Africa Twin AS
  • City / Town: Co Durham
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Hello and welcome in,dont buy a Pyramid hugger,they have a habit of shattering.

Cheers Boggs
Previous Stuff:
SUZUKI TS50-KAWASAKI AR80-KAWASAKI KMX125-KAWASAKI ZXR750-YAMAHA R1-CAGIVA NAVAGATOR-HONDA VTR FIRESTORM-Mk2 VERSYS-BENELLI TNT 899-Mk3 VERSYS GT

Offline DavidA

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Verys650 MK3
  • City / Town: Newry
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Pyramid huggers crack easily

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: Resurrected mk1
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:12 PM »
 :185: :185:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:01 PM »
 :185: :96: :89:
:scooter:

Online Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:05 AM »
£12.50 to ride the blade in that there London.I thought the ULEV was only certain roads but just looked it up. £100 for lorries  then 2021 it expands to the Nth and Sth Circ. FFS thats ridiculous altogether.

Anyhow Welcome to the Forum.
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Clubpenguin

• Versys Pro
  • hyde
  • Bike: versys grand
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Same bike as mine, you’ll love it.
chris and keeley