Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hyperpro warning about R1 shock  (Read 511 times)

Offline Digital

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 -08
  • City / Town: Falkenberg
Hyperpro warning about R1 shock
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Hello

Im looking for a spring for my R1shock and mailed Hyperpro about the rate and size of the rear spring that they got for the standard Versys shock. This it the answer:
"This is something that is often done in the United States.
However: the versys is a direct linked shock. The Yamaga R1 has a progrssive link. This makes the damping and spring completely different.
Also the oil flow and adjustments do not match the bike and link.
Next to this, the stroke of the shock on the R1 is much more, resulting in a rear wheel that can lock itself on a large pothole or going fast in a corner.
These are situations that can cost you your life and I would advise to stay far away from such swaps." 

That is some heavy words.  I know that the stroke of the R1 is longer than standard shock. Has anyone experienced that the R1 shock bottoms out so that the wheel locks up?

Mats in Sweden

Offline DavidA

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Verys650 MK3
  • City / Town: Newry
Re: Hyperpro warning about R1 shock
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Plenty of reading in the search section on this subject

Offline Digital

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 -08
  • City / Town: Falkenberg
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:02 PM »
Hi Yes I did read a lot about R1 shock here and I found that the longer stroke means that rear wheel travel is increased from 145 to 166 mm compared to stock. But I have not found anything about the risk of the rear wheel locking up or rubbing against the frame.  Im surprised that Hyperpro is so definitive in there statement.  Are they all wrong?  I think that longer wheel travel can be a good thing.

Offline kwacky

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Brum
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Why not buy an aftermarket shock which is designed specifically for our bikes?  That's what I did.  They're not that expensive.

Offline Ted99UK

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Versys Adventure
  • City / Town: Tarporley
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:36 AM »
When I was fitting my R1 shock, I first fitted the shock without the spring. I was then able to push the wheel to the maximum height before the shock stroke ended and it was nowhere near contacting the underside of the rear mudguard.
I don't know how much further the shock moves against the bump stop when it hits a big bump so I guess it is possible what hyperpro say.
I have done over 40 k miles with it, including some ridiculously severe big-rock trails in the atlas mountains, and I am not "aware" of having the wheel hit the mudguard.
Has anyone got the facilities to fully compress the shock and measure it?
Ted.