Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New life  (Read 950 times)

Offline Digital

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 -08
  • City / Town: Falkenberg
New life
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Hello I live on the west coast of Sweden. My life used to be simple. Got a Versys 650 -08 in that lovely green. Ride it when the wether is fine otherwise its in the garage. Fine. Life went on. But now that I started to read in this community about all the improvements for my bike that are just there for me to obtain its all different. I find my self thinking about spring rates, fork oils, gearing and all the other subjects here. I ordered sprockets, old shocks, lowering blocks and what not. Thank you.

Mats

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: New life
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Mats, I am very sorry we caused you that hardship.  Ignorance sometimes is bliss.  Just as TM...   :whistle:

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us updated on what you ended up doing that beautiful classic Mk1.   :biker1: :biker1:

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Tony the oldie

• Versys God
  • Lycra lout
  • Bike: V650 Mk3 Green
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Welcome Mats - really pleased that you have a lovely bike - I used to have a green 2008 model - and I very much hope you will continue to enjoy it. 

I also have read about all these improvements - and occasionally I think I may have understood most of what was being proposed and debated.   :001: :001: And as you have now discovered a new form of pleasure then I wish you well measuring your sag etc  :lostit:

Let us know what you do - and pictures are always welcome.  But also please send us reports of your biking in Sweden.   :028:

Keep on enjoying your bike  :152:

Tony

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:10 PM »

For what it's worth, Mats, I stick almost entirely to Kawasaki parts. The few changes I've made to my Versys have to do with touring comfort such as taller windshield, higher seat, lower pegs and mud flaps to keep me drier. Other than that my bikes are pretty well stock.
 For some people part of the fun of bike ownership is personalizing,  upgrading and modifying. However for many that is an option, not an essential.
 Even Gustavo, who has ridden a considerable variety of bikes and knows about aftermarket stuff, has ridden my high mileage '08 for a few thousand k.m. and is coming back for more this summer. His comment after his last tour was to the effect that he wouldn't have known that the bike had over 200 000 km on it had he not checked the odometer.
 The Versys is safe and reliable for very high mileages right out of the box. Quite o.k. to enjoy what you have and never mind about the upgrades.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

For what it's worth, Mats, I stick almost entirely to Kawasaki parts. The few changes I've made to my Versys have to do with touring comfort such as taller windshield, higher seat, lower pegs and mud flaps to keep me drier. Other than that my bikes are pretty well stock.

:008:   :4:   :008:   :4:

Yes, "my bike is stock" Rob  - Except it doesn't look like a Versys, it looks more like a barn door with wheels and it has been modified just about everywhere except the frame, engine and some of the suspension components.  But it's all stock.  Pinky swear...     :015:    :124:   :lostit:   :138:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Digital

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 -08
  • City / Town: Falkenberg
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Hi   Thank you everyone. Just want to say that i really like to read this forum. Because of winter and darkness I had sort of forgotten the bike in the garage but the forum have given me a new start and a fresh look at the Versys. I really like to change and try to improve the bike. But I also look forward to ride it again. 

I bought it last summer. It had only done 11000 km, almost new Michelin types, rear rack and a top box, Leo Vince slip-on and some scratch marks on the left side. Since then I mounted a higher screen, fixed the scratches, softened the seat and removed the rear fender.
Got a soft spot for Kawasaki. A long time ago I bought a brand new H2 two stroke triple in gold color. I had long hair then.

Mats

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Welcome, Mats.  :031:

We'd love to see photos of that green '08.  :123A:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]

Yes, "my bike is stock" Rob  - Except it doesn't look like a Versys, it looks more like a barn door with wheels and it has been modified just about everywhere except the frame, engine and some of the suspension components.  But it's all stock.  Pinky swear...     :015:    :124:   :lostit:   :138:

:015: :015:

I did mention a taller windshield, and suspension on the Mk1 is factory ... oophs. I did change the fork oil - er - more than once. And added fuel to the tank ... more than once.

We'll put it down to over excitement on your part at the opportunity to ride this great east side classic again, but be careful, young man. Any more of these Fake accusations and I'll have to put thumb tacks in the seat to keep you on the pegs.

:2:

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Welcome Mats you have chosen a great bike hope you can get a few miles in soon. I spent a week in Sweden at the ISDE. Back in the 70s I really enjoyed it but sadly we had a lot of bad weather
Jim

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

A nice classic Mk1 which sounds like a fair bit of work has already been done to it.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.