Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Planning routes for Tomtom Rider  (Read 828 times)

Offline johnboy51

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Rugby
Planning routes for Tomtom Rider
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:16 PM »
I don't know if this is the right forum, but I'm struggling to save routes for future use on the Tomtom Rider.
I have created a route around North Yorkshire that we plan for mid-May in Google maps.
I cannot work out how to save it as a .gpx file or anything else for that matter. I have managed to save as URL in an email but that's all.
I have tried GPSConverter software which is asking for a Google API code (?)  a fee paying developers code apparently. I have searched but cannot find anything on Google to help.

I tried Tyre but again I cant find a method of saving it to disk, Tomtom or anywhere else.

I finally tried Tomtom route planner as recommended by a friend but still no means of finding a save function.

Is it me? Or did the recent birthday claim the the last known functioning grey cell.
Can someone please put the Stupid Old F*** out of his misery please?
I'm off for a brew or something stronger before I throw the Tomtom and laptop out of the window.
Cheers Johnboy

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
Re: Planning routes for Tomtom Rider
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Johnboy. I can indeed put you out of your misery.  Put the Tom  Tom in the bin, or give it a local 5 year old ( who will have a far better chance of understanding it than you ).

Your next step will be find a map ( you do remember those, right ?). Next, find a sheet of paper. Continue by borrowing a pen from a child, which should be easy,  as they have no use for such a thing these days, what with computers and all.

Continue by studying the aforementioned map,  choose the route that you would like to take.  Write the route on the paper, then put the paper into a tank top bag, preferably one with a clear top. Or failing that, tape the route to your petrol tank.

Johnboy, you are coming to Yorkshire,  not the centre of London, or plotting a route from your front door to flaming Australia.

Like myself my friend, you have obviously missed the technology boat. So best to accept the fact, and crack on with the tried and tested method, that miracle of all miracles actually works.

I hope that you enjoy your trip to this magnificent county. Which has always been the most fabulous destination for motorcyclists. Folk have been finding their way around here for a hundred years,  which as you know, was way before sat navs were ever invented  :008:  Enjoy your trip.  Oh, and if you require a guide for the best biking roads in the Dales, give me a shout.  :152:

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2019, 07:50 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:58 PM »
I use MyrouteApp which allows me to plan a route / all the NVM routes on a Smartphone / Tablet / Windows PC under one account.

This program can also save the route in all known GPS formats and directly to a connected GPS / PC. (Garmin, TT, H&D, BMW etc)

For instance, I can plan the route on the PC,
As it also is account linked to my Smartphone, I can view the route on that as well.
Then I save the gpx file via the App on the phone, 

My Garmin "Smartphone link Software" on the phone then automaticly picks the new gpx file up and connects to my Zumo 346/396 LMT and loads the route into it, ready to be followed  :biker1:

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2019, 08:00 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

Offline johnboy51

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Rugby
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Thanks chaps for your replies.

I have worked in IT long enough  to know that there is always a solution, it's just a question of time, patience and of course outside help.
I have been trying to use Tyre which is a forerunner of MyrouteApp. I have managed to rough out a simple circular route and have saved it on the PC. The problem came trying to  connect the Tomtom to the PC which persisted in being invisible. Until I unplugged and replugged and clicked on 'Import Routes'! Why? Any other device connected to a pc is instantly recognised and interrogated.
I do find the 'clever' logic of modern devices and applications sometimes perverse and unnecessarily complex.

What I cant overcome is the Tomtom's insistance on 'interfering' with the newly downloaded route. Fastest, Shortest, Eco, Winding.  Why isn't there an option on the menu 'leave it as it is'. Grrrrrrrrr  :125:

Thanks for the bit of analogue thinking Geoff, that was plan B.  I was actually cribbing from an email prepared by a mate in Whitby, detailing the route, which was virtually ready for tank bag duties.

Keep smiling.

Johnboy

Offline jim ballantyne

• Versys God
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:16 AM »
I'm usually struggling with computers but I have managed to download routes from my laptop to my tomtom rider using the tyre site it usually takes a bit of time but I get there eventually.I used to use a sort of roller type thing something like you see the Paris Dakar riders using but I found that lots of signposts didn't have the next town I was looking for so the tomtom was much better.
Jim

Offline Tonyt4

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:29 PM »
if you sign onto your account from the Tom Tom web route planner
You can plan a route and save it
When you hit save, if you scroll the box down that appears you see an option to sync "as a track to my devices"
I have my Tom Tom Rider Bluetooth paired to my mobile and it usually appears after about 20 minutes
Only drawback is that it is a track, so it is a bit fussy about you following it.  and it may be slightly different to how it routes on the web.  I find it helps to add a few waypoints

Tony

Offline Tonyt4

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:31 PM »
i thought you had to pay to use MyRoute?    :43:

Tony

Offline Tony the oldie

• Versys God
  • Lycra lout
  • Bike: V650 Mk3 Green
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tonyt4 [+]
i thought you had to pay to use MyRoute?    :43:

Tony

When Myroute started there was an option to use the basic version for free which I did a few times but never thought it was good enough to pay for.  I still use Tyre as my planning system and it works OK but when transferring the route to my Garmin from the PC you have to save it as 'tracks' or when you try to use it on the Garmin it comes out as straight line routes which is no fecking good at all

Tony

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 02:10 AM »
I am in the 100milesaway camp.  Use paper and Google maps for planning.  Remember or write down the important way-points.  It's not the Dakar, it's OK if you are a little off course and missed a "check point".  Some of the best rides I've been on where ones where I "discovered" a new road I wasn't intending to ride.  Either because I missed a turn or because I remembered enough of the map layout that it opened up an option I wasn't thinking about when I was planning my original trip.

Of course, if you are delivering pizzas, you probably want to know the shortest/fastest way to your destination.  But inputting the address into the TomTom would probably take care of that.  Which reminds me...

:008:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 12:17 PM »
ive often thought the trouble with sat navs is that you follow them blindly, you don't realise where you've been, the ride seems a bit abstract, I always have a smallish scale map of the area where i'm going with me, and I like to orientate myself on google maps before I set off....if only to remember which way is north/south etc....so if I want to I can ignore sat nave and still have an idea where i'm at/going

however, for urban and cities in UK or EU, sat nav wins hands down