Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Battery charging?  (Read 366 times)

Offline johnboy51

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Rugby
Battery charging?
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:08 PM »
A few weeks ago after the cold snap we've had recently I thought I would check the state of the battery on the V. It was very low so I stuck it on the old Optimate. Checked after a couple of days it was reading 12.5+volts so all good.
Just been out this morning find the battery to be below 5 volts.
So I am wondering if, having left the Optimate connected to the battery although not connected to the mains it could 'leak to earth'?
Maybe my additional wiring for the twin horns via solenoid or the Tomtom wiring which are both connected directly to the battery (with inline fuses)
I'm going down the leaking Optimate route at the moment and it's charging the battery up again as I type, disconnect properly then monitor the battery state over the next few days.
I hate the dark art of electrics, can anyone shed any light? 

Cheers JB

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Battery charging?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:38 PM »
See My answers below in RED

*Originally Posted by johnboy51 [+]
A few weeks ago after the cold snap we've had recently I thought I would check the state of the battery on the V. It was very low so I stuck it on the old

Optimate. Checked after a couple of days it was reading 12.5+volts so all good.
Just been out this morning find the battery to be below 5 volts.

So I am wondering if, having left the Optimate connected to the battery although not connected to the mains it could 'leak to earth'?

Maybe my additional wiring for the twin horns via solenoid or the Tomtom wiring which are both connected directly to the battery (with inline fuses)
Try and never wire direct to a battery. Always use an aux switched Ccts via their own Fuse block
The only Aux Cct connection to the battery should be the RED positive wire
The BLACK earth return should always go to the Frame at an earth point

I'm going down the leaking Optimate route at the moment and it's charging the battery up again as I type, disconnect properly then monitor the battery state over the next few days.
Possibly but my thoughts are that in the cold one cell has gone down and therefore not charging properly

I hate the dark art of electrics, can anyone shed any light? 
See the document titled "A Motor cycle wiring guide" in the Misc folder on this link HERE

However to get you going, think of the:

Alternator / Rectifier unit, as a Water Pump taking water out of the river
Battery, as being a pressurised water storage Container
All wires, as different sized pipes.
Switches as manual valves
Fuses, as auto cut off valves.
A light / heater, as where the water pressure and flow is consumed.
The earth return to the frame, as a drain to the river.

Cheers JB

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2019, 02:39 PM by TowerMan »
                          Details HERE  :123A:

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2009 versys 650
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Does your bike live indoors, if so why not let it keep sucking off your optimate all the time. continually conditions the battery, keeps it ready for the cold morning starts, so no agro. What's not to like.

Offline johnboy51

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 GT
  • City / Town: Rugby
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:17 AM »
The V lives in the garage and it shares the Optimate, alternating(!) with my other bike (82 R100) but when moving the V, I unplgged the Optimate temporarily, but forgot to plug it back in.
The battery once recharged was showing 12.36v and this morning it's 12.20v which is pointing to slowly dying battery in my book. I'm away for week so I'll check it on my return and replace it if it gets too low.

Offline TallTex

• Versys Member
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Once those little micro-shorts start developing between the plates, the battery is headed down for the count. A battery load tester gives a quick and certain determination if it's battery shopping time. The voltage reading is only a passive indication. It's what happens under load that counts.

I use Noco Genius .75 amp smart chargers. The pulsing charge helps burn off the internal shorts for a long time. But not forever, sadly...
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2019, 02:35 PM by TallTex »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard