Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Throttle Body Sync Tool Wanted  (Read 668 times)

Offline mop1960

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2106 ABS
  • City / Town: London
Throttle Body Sync Tool Wanted
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:16 AM »
Hello.

I've recently acquired a 2016 V ABS and given the relative simplicity of the bike decided to do my own servicing. It only has 8K miles on it but there is a flat spot around 3,000 to 4,000 RPM so while I've got the bike apart I might as well check the synchronisation of the throttle bodies.

So I'm looking for the correct tool for this (vacuum gauges or WHY). New or secondhand.

Thanks for reading this.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2019, 07:17 AM by mop1960 »

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
Re: Throttle Body Sync Tool Wanted
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:59 PM »
You are very likely wasting your time. I have a 2015 and can verify the flat spot below 4000 RPM, members on this forum have chosen to ignore my post. I am a mod on another Versys Forum and there is much more detail , however, like that forum, this forum frowns on redirecting members. Here is one of my posts , https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,21413.0.html

And this is what I use https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjjrJLBh8jgAhUK16wKHU1_B08QFjABegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carbtune.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw0TbMCZWZmZrCQSUiulvXm9

Offline mop1960

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Thanks InverterMan.  So the flat spot is common to the 2015 650 V? As syncing the throttle bodies is a 7,500 mile service task I think I should do it anyway so I'll have a look at the CarbTune Pro.

Online uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 08 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:52 PM »

Good idea, Mop. Both my 650 V's have come out of the box with t.b.s out of sync. I've had good luck with the CarbTune. Adjustment screws are fiddly to get at, 'tho. I use a small flat blade screw driver that came with my wife's sewing machine.

As for the flat spot. It doesn't exist in N.A. bikes 2008 - 2014. Can't speak for 2015 as it was a new model. Until 2015 N.A. bikes had no O2 sensor.
 But all pre 2015s need to be kept spinning above 3000 rpm to avoid jerkiness in stock form. Properly adjusted valves and t.b.s make a noticeable difference.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by InverterMan [+]
You are very likely wasting your time. I have a 2015 and can verify the flat spot below 4000 RPM, members on this forum have chosen to ignore my post. I am a mod on another Versys Forum and there is much more detail , however, like that forum, this forum frowns on redirecting members. Here is one of my posts , https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,21413.0.html

And this is what I use https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjjrJLBh8jgAhUK16wKHU1_B08QFjABegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.carbtune.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw0TbMCZWZmZrCQSUiulvXm9
Yes I have owned a 07 Versys and most of us adjusted the throttle position sensor, however some friends convinced me the 2015 was a huge improvement. After owning both, the ABS makes the bike worth the purchase, however, the headlight reflector sucks, no way of installing a LED bulb to get a improved light output, what I mean by that , the beam pattern is all over the place. Another huge negative is the 2500 to 4000 RPM range, anyone jumping onto a 2015 -2016 from a MK-1 or MK-2 expect a big disappointment.
   If you still have the bike apart, a very simple mod, bring out the vacuum lines, I used a stainless steel 1/4 bolt and cut the threads off as a vacuum plug. The photo shows my gauge on the 2015 using 1/4 vacuum couplers , the line for the extension I think is 7/32 , purchased from a auto supply store. One point, usually one throttle body has the adjustment screw all the way in , many times it is cylinder #2. Finding vacuum sync off usually is a indication that the valve clearance is off. When I did my valve shim on the 2015, the sync was bang on, no adjustment needed.
     So I mentioned in my other post about a new flash available for 2015-2016 650 Versys, I did that on my ECU, I can say the bike is now superior to both my old 07 and the original 2015 before the flash, since I end up in the below 4000 RPM whenever passing through small towns when riding on the highway, this flash has been worth every penny, as in 2018 I considered getting a different bike, the only thing stopping me was the extensive amount of mods I had already completed on the Versys. I can say this one is now a keeper with the new flash.

Notice the white couplings on the vacuum gauge, the red and yellow tape represent cylinder #1 red & #2 yellow

These lines are wire tied to my Denali split sound balm horn compressor, so minutes and I can check vacuum sync without removing anything.

Lines brought out from formerly capped ports on the TB , red is cylinder #1
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2019, 01:56 PM by InverterMan »

Offline mop1960

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Thanks again InverterMan. I think I'll take your advice and connect up those tubes so in future I can check the TB sync with the fairings et al  in situ.