Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Intermittent electric fault: starting & indicators  (Read 446 times)

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Intermittent electric fault: starting & indicators
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Hi Folks
My indicators stopped working, albeit temporarily, on Saturday. Later on my bike wouldn’t start and it took about six attempts to get it going. On Sunday the indicators were fine, however, after being out all day the engine struggled to start after the last café stop. Again, it took about six attempts to get it going.  Normally I press the start button once and it goes perfect. I checked the usual suspects (e.g. kickstand, engine kill switch, fuel), but could not find any obvious problem. The bike is about 6 months old and I’m new to biking, so any advice will be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Gavin

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: GSX S1000
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
Re: Intermittent electric fault: starting & indicators
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Normally that would indicate a dodgy earth or dying battery.
Its new so take it back to the dealer.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 & Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2019, 10:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
Normally that would indicate a dodgy earth or dying battery.
Its new so take it back to the dealer.
+1

but keep us posted on what the problem is / was  :028:
                          Details HERE  :123A:

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Thanks. I checked the battery and it shows 12.8v. Where would I check for a dodgey earth?

Cheers
Gavin

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gavroom [+]
Thanks. I checked the battery and it shows 12.8v. Where would I check for a dodgey earth?

Cheers
Gavin
First it was suggested it should be covered under warranty, however just because you are new on the forum, doesn't mean it is a 2018 Versys. Two key places, the firsts is the engine ground, if you have a 2015 650 Versys or newer, this is going to be a challenge, as the ABS brakes hydraulic system occupies a considerable amount of space. Best visual access is from the foot brake side, looking in the direction of the clutch lever, the engine ground is the heavy negative cable from your battery negative post. I found my 2007 Versy had a corroded connection here I also found my 2015 Versys had a considerable amount of aluminum oxide at this connection. I cleaned both and used a copper based anti seize /oxide inhibitor / dielectric grease . Keep in mind your starter uses the aluminum engine for the negative connection. I would also check both your battery posts and your frame ground, located by the tank / seat mounting bracket, while your at it clean your ECU grounds. Yes even if the bike is new, you would be surprised what I found, I went over all my connections, the 2015 has several frame grounds up front for the headlights etc., I think there are something like 11 on the 2015.

And to repeat about warranty, it is a PITA to arrange to take the bike in, leave it then pick it up again, for me, I had my 2015 all ripped apart with under 5 KM on it, replaced the regulator with my CompuFire, now this January I installed a newer more efficient Polaris 4016868, test results with Fluke meters and scope to come once it gets up to or above 15'C. I did all my grounds , added a thermo-bob and eventually #4 thermo-bob designed for snow bikes.

So if you are competent at doing electrical work and no parts are required, DIY , best way to know it is done right.

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Hi Inverterman

Thanks, I'll follow your advice. I'm none too clued up about electrics, so apologies in advance if I have to come back for more advice. I took the bike into the shop where it gets serviced as I needed a new back tyre. I spoke to the mechanic who suggested I get an optimate charger. I'll get a charger if necessary, but I'm not convinced it will solve the problem. I got the bike new in September 2018 and I've been doing just under 1000 miles each month so I'd have thought that should be enough to keep the battery charged up.
Cheers
Gavin 

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Lovin' it.
  • Bike: V1K Mk1 -GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 04:31 PM »
1000 miles a month is far more than I do at the moment and I have no issues with mine - take it back and get them to sort it.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline InverterMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Versys
  • City / Town: Kitchener
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2019, 02:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gavroom [+]
Hi Inverterman

Thanks, I'll follow your advice. I'm none too clued up about electrics, so apologies in advance if I have to come back for more advice. I took the bike into the shop where it gets serviced as I needed a new back tyre. I spoke to the mechanic who suggested I get an optimate charger. I'll get a charger if necessary, but I'm not convinced it will solve the problem. I got the bike new in September 2018 and I've been doing just under 1000 miles each month so I'd have thought that should be enough to keep the battery charged up.
Cheers
Gavin
Read your first post a second time, make sure your warmed up idle is 1300 to 1350 RPM
, further into my post I suggest a shorted cell, the combination of low idle and deep discharge from repeated stops and below 1300 RPM ,the rapid charge, could cause a cell to short out.

One thing I would suggest, and you may have missed some detail in your post, such as does the starter kick in and the bike barely turnover, or is the starter not kicking in at all? It has happened to 1 out of 1000 with a bad battery, usually it shows up after the bike has been warmed up and ridden, however it does happen like I said 1 / 1000 , best advice is take the battery in and have it load tested.

Just had a guy recently with a new battery / bike with similar issues, turned out that while riding the regulator puts out 14.2 to 15 VDC, he had a cell that was shorted out, I would do a quick start, then stop, with a meter on the battery, 1 start and stop, the battery should be 12.6 VDC within 2 minutes of stopping.

Second test, start the bike and measure the VDC at the battery after warm up, make sure your idle is around 1300 to 1350 after warm up, anything below that and once warmed up, you are discharging the battery at idle. One way to prove that is on your return home, have the meter handy at home, measure your battery voltage with the engine off, start it and measure idle voltage again, you will be surprised to find at the same RPM the VDC will be lower, that is due to the increased resistance in the stator winding. My 2015 idle is 1350 with a series Polaris regulator in it, 14.2 VDC all the time, except when the fan comes on at idle, then about 13.6 VDC.

One last thing, I have had my bike sitting for 2 months without starting and it started first try, normally over winter I put my motorcycle 1 amp charger on for 6 hours every 6 to 8 weeks.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2019, 02:33 PM by InverterMan »

Offline Gavroom

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Hi

Thanks InverterMan. I've not been out on the bike much over the past couple of weeks due to the crap Scottish weather. The idle speed and starter kick seem fine and the mechanic says the battery is fine under load. I've checked the connections as suggested and I don't see anything that looks (obviously) problematic. I'm going for a run this afternoon and will cross my fingers that all is well. If not, I'll go back to the garage given the bike is under warranty.

Many thanks for all the feedback
Gavin