Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Are the Stock Tyres Any Good  (Read 934 times)

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
Re: Are the Stock Tyres Any Good
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2019, 01:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by TallTex [+]
What can be worse than badly squared off rubber? It doesn't track straight very well, it's hard to tip into a turn and once leaned it is hard to hold a line, feeling skittish and untrustworthy. When leaned, those ridges at the edge of the flattened center shrink the contact patch and carve down your traction budget... the worst possible behavior.

The upside of being cheap and riding into this unpleasant territory is, when you fit new tires you've got a whole new bike that suddenly feels like a bike should.
    I think that our interpretation of a squared off tyre will be very different to folk on your side of the puddle Sonny. 

I am talking slightly squared off, and in most cases, with no dramatic " cliff edge" to fall off. Some pictures that I have had sight of, with alarming squared off syndrome, from none UK ridden bikes are very frightening indeed.

I only mentioned the term " squared off" to highlight the fact that the little Versys comes with single compound tyres.  :002:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline TallTex

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000LT
  • City / Town: DFW TX
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2019, 01:54 PM »
I'm afraid the endless flatland of Texas starts wearing the center from day one. Then, the replacement cost encourages you to keep riding on a set into that place where they work, they just don't work very well.

I just replaced a pair of squared off Dunlops with Michelin Commander 2's on my Vulcan 900. The transformation was dramatic. I had come to think of the motorcycle as something of a dog. Suddenly, it feels rock solid and eager and I am enjoying it again.  :028:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2019, 02:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by TallTex [+]
I'm afraid the endless flatland of Texas starts wearing the center from day one. Then, the replacement cost encourages you to keep riding on a set into that place where they work, they just don't work very well.

I just replaced a pair of squared off Dunlops with Michelin Commander 2's on my Vulcan 900. The transformation was dramatic. I had come to think of the motorcycle as something of a dog. Suddenly, it feels rock solid and eager and I am enjoying it again.  :028:
  What you need Sonny is a biking holiday in this country,  we could take you out riding every day, and make you dizzy with all the twists and turns.  :lostit:  :008: :008:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dill [+]
A Few Versys guys I've spoke to, they say have had around 3000 miles from the rear tyre. Hense my question.
Obviously I'll wear the tyre out before I change to something else.

Yes, as mentioned above, the single compound doesn't last as long as some aftermarket options.  But, it also depends on how/where you ride, what sort of pressures you keep your tire at and ambient temps.

If you tend to accelerate hard, run at high speeds, keep the tire toward the lower end of the recommended pressure range (let alone below it) or ride at high ambient temps it'll wear faster.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: Back in business
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2019, 06:27 PM »
I'd ride them for 3 or 4K then think about something different. Mine went pretty square on a tour of Europe but didn't cause any problems. I was amazed how much more confidence a better set gave me. I had just returned to biking after many years off when I got the V, so I didn't know any different at the time. But new tyres made a big difference to me learning to throw the bike around with more confidence.
Whatever you do, enjoy the bike  :031:
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2019, 06:27 PM by Kawaboy »
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.